Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Old people I knew/met

While looking at some entries for 'my road' in 1939 I noticed that one lady was born in 1879 and realised that she was probably the oldest person I can remember actually knowing.

I have no proof (as in a photo) that I met my great grandfather who was born in 1860 but I'm sure I would have as he lived only a few hundred yards from granny and granddad, though I can't remember him as he died when I was one year old.

The oldest relatives I actually knew were my granny who was born in 1884 and her sister born in 1886.

This isn't a competition but how far back can other FMs go with relations they met/relations or people they actually remember?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

The earliest births of people that I definitely remember knowing were my mother's parents . . . 1894-1965 and 1896-1976.
    I have a vague recollection of meeting some of my paternal g'ma's brother and sisters . . . 1894, 1905 and either 1892 or 1890

The oldest people I knew were two centenarians unrelated ex neighbours who both reached 100 in 2012.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I think it would have to be my maternal grandmother born in 1883 and who died in 1958. She was 8 years older than her husband, who died before I was born, and they were a lot older than my paternal grandparents.

Kiltpin

I am sitting opposite my mother (1919) as I write this. Her mother (1884 - 1960) lived with us for a while. As did my paternal grandmother (1893 - 1971). I am told that as a baby, every time I was put on my paternal grandfather's lap, I would wet myself, so I must have been there, but have no memory of the fact.

Regards

Kiltpin

marj

Our next door neighbour was b.1870 d. 1957. A lovely old lady.

Marj

Allan F Sparrow

I knew my mother's parents, both born in 1884; also my father's mother, born in 1882. But that's as far back as I can go, despite being past my three score years and ten!

My paternal adoptive grandparents. Grandmother born 1873 and grandfather 1874. He died when I was 4 years old but I remember him sitting in his big rocking chair. Grandma died in 1860 and had lived with us for12 years even though she owned her own home (and ours).
    Both my maternal grandparents were born 1875. Granddad died 1959 and Grandma 1960 and I remember them both very well. It was only after all grandparents had died that Dad could fulfil his wish of moving us to NZ.
    My Mum died in 2009 just a few weeks before her 101st birthday.
    I did the same as Pam and walked down memory lane in the 1939 register looking at the neighbours but none of them were as old as my grandparents.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Maternal grandfather, born 1875. Passed away when I was 12. Wonderful gardener whom I helped on his allotment in order to earn pocket money. Often think of him when pottering about on mine.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The oldest person I ever knew was my uncle Sam, he was 92 when he died and up until a few weeks before his death had walked to the pub each evening, he smoked a pipe and drank a few pints every day . I think he enjoyed life
    Alma

Valued member of Brit-Gen

The oldest person I knew well was my mother, born Sept 1914, 8 months before her 100th birthday, definitely compos mentis till about 2 months before her death, though crippled by arthritis. She regularly went for her paper herself till she was 90
    The oldest person I have met was, at the time, the second oldest man in England, Benjamin Kagen, father of the somewhat notorious Lord Kagen.I think he was 106 when I met him, so it must have been 1985. He was extremely deaf, though I suspect that he was not as deaf as he seemed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast