Default ELIZABETH JOSEPH (s) nee HART c1797-1869

This new thread provides data on Elizabeth Joseph aka Josephs nee Hart c 1797-1869 her sister Sarah Hart and other relatives. Another researcher had suggested the possibilty that my own Hart lines may have been related to Elizabeth and Sarah because my 3x great grandfather was an executor in both sisters probate. I obtained the will of Elizabeth to confirm whether or not there was a relationship but currently this does not appear to be the case.
    The thread is therefore to assist any other researchers who have Elizabeth in their family lines.
    The probate for Elizabeth Joseph aka Josephs recorded- Elizabeth Joseph otherwise Josephs formerly of 61 Great Prescott Street Whitechapel but late of 3 Great Crown Court Little Pultney Street Middlesex , widow died 6 November 1869 at 3 Great Court Proved by Aaron Hart 156 Houndsditch Wholesale Boot Manufacturer and David Samuel Isaacs 3 Great Crown Court Marine Dealer the executors Effects under £600. The full will gave bequests to Mr Aaron Hart 156 Houndsditch Wholesale Boot Manufacturer £25 "for his great kindness to my late dearly beloved sister and to myself"- Catherine Isaacs daughter of David Isaacs 3 Great Crown Court St.James Westminster Middlesex Marine Store Dealer; David Isaacs her nephew 3 Great Crown Court and on his death to Mrs Hannah Isaacs his widow £100 but if she and her children marry out of the Hebrew faith they receive nothing; her brother Mr David Hart Saint Pauls Minnessotta USA and to his surviving children ( not named) attaining 21 years; Mr S Solomon Secretary Hambro Synagogue. She also referred to a legacy she received from her late sister Miss Sarah Hart.
    I will post further on Elizabeth, her daughter Catherine, husband Joseph aka Joel.

Phillip

This post provides data on Sarah and Elizabeth Joseph nee Hart sisters. Probate- Sarah Hart Death Friday 16.8.1861 at her residence 68 Great Prescott Street Goodman's Fields, after a long and severe illness, aged 71 years- The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and Edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Publisher Robert Boyd.
    Probate -Sarah Hart late of 69 Great Prescott Street Goodman's Fields spinster died 16 August 1861 Proved by Aaron Hart of Kennington Oval Surrey Boot and Shoe Manufacturer one of the executors Effects under £800

Elizabeth and Sarah appear together inn the 1851 and 1861 Census:
    1851 (Crown Copyright,TNA) HO 107 1546 136 8
    8 Great Alie Street St Mary Whitechapel- they are lodgers in the house of Barnett BOAM
    Elizabeth Joseph lodger married 56
    Sarah Hart lodger u both b Coventry Warwick
    There is an error in the census because Elizabeth was a widow her husband Joel aka Joseph having died- GRO Death Index Joel JOSEPH July qtr 1845 Brighton 7 163
    1861 Census ( Crown Copyright TNA) RG9 273 62 25
    69 Great Prescott Street
    Sarah HART H u 60 Fund Holder b Coventry
    Elizabeth JOSEPH sister widow 58 Fund holder b Coventry

1841 Census ( Crown Copyright,TNA) HO 107 1123 4 7 7 6
    Edward Street Brighthelmstone Kempton Sussex
    Joel Joseph 50 Fruiterer b N
    Elizabeth Joseph 45 b N

I hold the GRO Death Certificates for Elizabeth and Sarah and will post further.
    The Jews of Brighton 1770-1900 D Spector Jewish Historical Society of England 1968 ( online) Baxters Stranger in Brighton 1822-1824- Joel Joseph fruiterer 81 St James Street.

Phillip

Default JOSEPH JOSEPH FRUITERER -BRIGHTON

The following Probate indicates further relationships between Elizabeth Joseph nee Hart and her husband Joseph aka Joel Joseph of Brighton lines:
    Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 231 Frances Joseph 30 March 1827- the bequests show that Joseph Joseph fruiterer of Brighton was in the son in law of Frances and that Joseph had a son called David- Frances had a sister called Amelia Mosely and in the full will details Frances made a variety of bequests.

GRO Death Certificates:
    Elizabeth Joseph 6 November 1869 3 Great Crown Court Westminster
    Age 74 widow of Joseph Joseph fruiterer Cause of death Natural Decay -exhaustion Informant-the x mark of David Samuel ISAACS present at death 3 Great Crown Street St.James Westminster

Sarah Hart 16 August 1861 -69 Great Prescott Street Whitechapel 71 Lady's Maid Cause of Death Dropsy 10 weeks; Diphtheria 3 weeks Informant the x mark of Fanny BARNETT Present at death 2 White Bear Court Lambeth Street Whitechapel

Phillip

Default SARAH HART DIED 1861 -69 GREAT PRESCOTT ST

The following Probate 1861 for Sarah Hart sister of Elizabeth Joseph nee Hart and others:
    Sarah Hart late of of 69 Great Prescott Street Goodman's Field spinster died 16 August 1861. Executors: Asher Hyman HART Upper Bedford Place; Aaron HART Kennington Oval.
    Asher Hyman Hart is likely to be the person who appears in 1861 Census with wife Rachel nee JOSEPH and 8 children- 40 Upper Bedford Place St.George Middlesex. This Asher Hyman Hart c 1811-1871 has previously been posted on several years ago. He married Rachel Joseph NSW Sydney 1840.

Sarah Hart left bequests to- " nephew David ISAACS son of my late sister Katherine ISAACS"; " my friend Henry SOLOMON Esq"; "dear sister Elizabeth JOSEPH of 69 Great Prescott Street widow".
    Witnesses- Lewis EMANUEL Solicitor 31 New Broad Street; David SAMUEL Clerk to Messrs S Samuel and Emanuel 31 New Broad Street
    There is no indication in either of the Elizabeth and Sarah Hart wills that my 3x great grandfather Aaron Hart executor in both wills is related to the sisters. The naming of a third sister Katherine Isaacs nee Hart in the Sarah Hart will suggests the possibility that she is one of the children of David Hart of Coventry who is recorded with his 6 children including a Kitty, Elizabeth, Sarah in the NA 219 Will extract of Judith Jacobs 1811- Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts.

Phillip