Default Researching 79th Armoured Div & Rifle Brigade

Hi, I'm researching both my and my wife's late fathers WWII Service Records.

I have been working on my father's for nearly 3 years. He was in the 79th Armoured Division ('Hobart's Funnies'). I have read numerous relevant books, visited both the London Imperial War Museum and the National Archives, and spent many hours on the internet. I have yet to visit the archives at the Tank Museum, Bovington. Post war he was assigned to SADE. I am accumulating all findings into a document. I'm comfortable to share this document in PDF format with other members. Whilst I have much generalities, my challenge continues to be to uncover specifics of my father's role. My focus at present is (as many) to interpret outstanding abbreviations, interpret Order codes and gain more information on 79th AD locations.

I have only recently obtained my wife's fathers WWII Service Record. He was in the Rifle Brigade and wounded in the D day landings. I would like to obtain a copy of The Rifle Brigade in WWII book, but unwilling to pay around £80 for it.

I will review the Forums for information, assist others where I may have inut and post relevant questions of my own.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. It's always nice to see new members willing to share their expertise!

A fountain of knowledge

I've seen those books at £120+ too.
    That's the issue with the rarer stuff & collectors editions generally unfortunately.

If you go to Worldcat.org and feed it the book's title and your location, it will tell you where the nearest library that has it is. You can then ask your local library about an interlibrary loan... I learned this lesson by searching all over the place for one book (very small print run) until I noticed the link to Worldcat on the Google Books page... The nearest copy was 5 min walk from my office.

I've had a lot of luck with the book stands at antique fairs and centres, as well!

Reputation beyond repute

I would like to obtain a copy of The Rifle Brigade in WWII book, but unwilling to pay around £80 for it.
    Why not try the library?

https://herts.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/s...CF=GEN&ISGLB=0

Peter, brill! much appreciated. A facility I wasn't aware of. Best regards Trevor

Lesley, many thanks. I wasn't aware of this capability. Following up. Best regards Trevor