Default 21st Lancers - Seeking information/photos.

Seeking information about my Great-Grandfather, Charles John Lawrence Smith https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...th-21-lancers/

Any information or photos would be fantastic, I'd love to be able to find out more about him or stories about the 21st lancers in the Boer-War and share them with my grandad who didn't know much about his Father.

A few things my grandad (who is 90 now) has told me about him.

He was Kitchener's Orderly. He shared a tent with Winston Churchill. A bad-tempered white horse that an arab prince gave to kitchener was passed on to my great-granded, he managed to get the horse under control by smashing a glass bottle over its head (there is a photo of him on this horse somewhere!). He was stabbed in the leg by a spear.

He was a sergeant in WW1 serving in France.

Reputation beyond repute

The service record of Charles John Lawrence Smith with the 21st Lancers is on Findmypast. If you didn't know that was likely to be, you had better read the research guide - https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-up-to-1913/

I'd love to be able to find out more about him or stories about the 21st lancers in the Boer-War
    The 21st Lancers were not involved in the Boer War.

Thank you Peter, I will give the research guide a good read! Thank you for confirming they were not involved in the Boer War, I wish I had know that before starting a thread. With a little research, am I right in thinking they were involved in the Mahdist War (1881-1889)?
    From what I read so far the 21st Lancers were at The Battle of Omdurman 1898.

Reputation beyond repute

Also see the campaign medal rolls available on Ancestry and have a good read of his service record. You already know that he received the Sudan medal with Khartoum clasp.