Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Jakob Dzialowski / Jalofsky/Jacobs 1848-1900

Jakob Dzialowksi (Jalofsky) (Jacobs)
    1848-1900
    He mustve come in from Europe, and we were looking for his name under another spelling
    Thank you in advanced
    Jaqui Gee

Jaqui
    I would suggest that you put a new thread with the heading Jakob Dzialowski aka Jalofsky aka Jacobs 1848-1900. This would help researchers to focus on the name as a help to you. You might also want to post as much data as you have on Jakob. Looking at the 2 Public Family trees on Ancestry.Com they have Jakob marrying a Bloomah ( last name not recorded) - her dates are 1861-1936. Both Bloomah and Jakob are recorded as living and dying in the UK. Their children are also named. However, I note that the trees have recorded Jakob as Abraham and Bloomah as Sarah and listed them under the 1881 Census. They also have Jakob as Solomon Jalofsky with UK Naturalisation Certificate in 1918 residence Liverpool.

Would suggest that you add and clarify what you know about the family.
    Phillip

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Excellent idea Phillip, but to avoid duplicate thread(s) I've amended the title of this one to your suggestion. Well, almost, as I didn't have enough characters to include the aka's.

I'm very pleased that you've found Jacob in the UK because I'd assumed from Jaqui's location that Jakob went to the USA.

Jaqui -
    As Phillip has said, we need to know what other information you have about Jakob and his family.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Jaqui
    Pam has amended the thread heading which is a great help for you and other researchers. I have noted on JewishGen Family Trees numbers of Dzialowski ( the ski ending in a last name is often indicative of Poland, Empire of Russia- I have distant relatives with this ending but it can vary in terms of derivations ). There is a Hamburg Passenger List for several Jalofsky who appear to be all of the same family- the date departing Hamburg is 9 Sept 1864 and arrival Hull. The family are from Suwalk Prussia and ages range from 41 to 4 with it appears a husband age 24 and wife 21 and 4 children from 16-4.Whether or not this family is any relevance to your line requires confirmation.
    Phillip

Starting to feel at home

Default Hamburg Passenger List for several Jalofsky

to say I am hyperventilating is an understatement. Where is this passenger list from Hamburg? OH my....

Hi
    I found it on ancestry, Philip may have another source.
    The names are for the date Philip gave
    Ship - Lord Cardigan
    Jechesiel Jalofsky 24 Occupation - Handelsmann. Residence-Suwalk, Preußen (Germany
    Frommet Jalofsky 21 Wife
    Janne Jalofsky 16
    Junkel Jalofsky 7 son
    Sora Jalofsky 6 dau
    Mariage Jalofsky 4 dau

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I have also found Frommet, Junkel and Mariage on the US and Canada Passenger and Immigration Lists Index arriving New York 1864 so did thy go via England?
    Maybe the reason the others aren't showing up on the same US list is because of names wrongly spelt. I can only see the transcription there is no image.

Ah the Hamburg list has the destination as Port of Arrival - Hull (New York via Liverpool)

Christina

Added: The Hamburg passenger lists are also on familysearch.org
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Jaqui,

You were asked earlier in the thread by both Phillip and myself to give us what other information you have about Jakob and his family.

The Hamburg Passenger List in 1864 is OK if everyone disembarked in Hull and stayed in the UK as (allegedly) per the 1881 UK census.
    But Christina's find of Frommet, Junkel and Mariage arriving in New York in 1864 throws the 1881 UK entry into question. Unless the family returned to the UK.

So please tell us the information you have on Jakob - e.g. have you found him on US census, and if so, for which years. Where was he living? Wife's name, etc.
    It could be there are two Jakob Dzialowski / Jalofsky/Jacobs born circa 1848 who both, initially, came to the UK.

For what it's worth, somewhere in the back of my memory, there's a note that people from Europe often arrived in Hull, then took a train across to Liverpool before sailing on to America. I think it's connected with a lot of German/Russian/Eastern European-sounding names being in Hull on census night in 1901.
    From what I can see, although you might have had to change en route, it would have been possible to travel from Hull to Liverpool by train in 1864.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Default Jakob Dzialowski / Jalofsky/Jacobs 1848-1900

thank you
    really, I know nothing about him at all. Actually, the Polish spelling I got from a DNA match that had that name in their tree. So I wondered if the manifest would shed light on his family and place of birth. I wonder what those Jewish names translated to English would be? I will ask Jakobs sisters family if they have anything at all. I feel I have betrayed you with information that I don't even know is really connected to me. This is what I was searching for.
    Thanks again. I will continue to look further with this information that you gave me. SO kind and generous
    Jaqui Gee
    PS but if you have any other ideas, please continue to help !!

Jaqui,
    I don't understand all the ins and outs of DNA tests, but Peter Calver, founder of Lost Cousins, does, and he makes interesting reading. https://
    lostcousins.com/newsletters2/jul16news.htm

Of particular relevance is the last sentence of the second paragraph. I quote
    The time to turn to DNA is when you've gone as far as you reasonably can using paper records
    If 'your' Jakob was the one who emigrated to the US in 1864 how far can you/his sister's family bring any or all of his children forward to the present day? (I think you need to bring them all forward to enable you to find a match.)
    And by the same reasoning, how far back can you take your own family line (parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc)? If I understand things correctly, somewhere the two lines should meet.

Though as I've said, I don't understand DNA, so I don't know if you have to include siblings of your parents, grandparents, etc, in the paper records research.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast