Smile Joseph Wickes married Margaret ???? in London

Hi,

I would like help please with the marriage of the above couple, all four children as far as we are aware were born in Finsbury, London, the first my ancestor, Hannah Wickes, in 1745, who went on to marry Edward Jenner in East Grinstead, in 1762.

I am also told that both Joseph and Margaret were born in London, but who knows!!??

Over to the experts.

Many thanks,

Carol

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have approximate dates for the marraige of Joseph Wickes?

Smile Joseph Wickes =Margaret ???

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Do you have approximate dates for the marraige of Joseph Wickes?
    Hi Pamela,

As mentioned before, Hannah their first born was born in 1745, so I am thinking of dates between 1735 to 1745?

I am also glad, but not verified, that the Wickes family were clock makers?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Good luck.

Carol

janbooth

Hi Carol,

Well, I can find the baptisms of the children of Joseph & Margaret, all at St Luke Old Street, Finsbury via Ancestry's London Parish Registers:

Hannah born 28 October, baptised 10 November 1745, parents Joseph & Margaret (transcription only)
    Joseph born 15 May, baptised 1 June 1748, son of Joseph WICKS Laberer (sic) & Margaret
    Alice born 3 April, baptised 7 May 1751, daughter of Joseph WICKS & Margaret
    John born 28 June, baptised 21 July 1756, son of Joseph WICKS & Margaret

However, I am having no luck at all finding a marriage for Joseph & Margaret - at the moment.

There is a burial for a Joseph WICKES at St Luke, Finsbury, on 19 November 1766 - he was, according to the register, a man - now who would have guessed that - and died of a Fever. Could he be your Joseph?

Baptism at St Luke, Finsbury, on 15 November 1771 (born 23 October) of Joseph son of Joseph WICKES & Jane, Watchmaker - son of Joseph jnr? Joseph WICKES married Jane HAMILTON 26 December 1770 at St Luke Finsbury.

None of this is much help in finding Joseph's marriage to Margaret, but will keep looking.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

you've probably seen Joseph WEEKS marrying Margaret Orchard on 24 August 1736 - but that's probably too distant to be useful

janbooth

I don't know that it is too far distant and you could be on to something with that marriage. There is a baptismal transcription on Ancestry dated 25 July 1739 (born 13 July) at St Luke Old Street (the same church as the baptisms to Joseph & Margaret WICKS) for a Thomas James WEEKS whose parents are Joseph & Mary. As this is a transcription, it could just as easily be Joseph & Marg. on the original register. Thomas James died in October of the same year

The marriage of Joseph WEEKS & Margaret ORCHARD was a London Clandestine Marriage record (from Fleet Notebooks at Wilson's) and took place on 24 August 1736 in which Joseph was described as a bachelor of St Luke's Market Man & Margaret as a spinster of the same.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 28-02-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Extra text