Starting to feel at home

Default Pearcey marriage queries

I’m curious about the marriages of 2 Pearcey sisters, Mary & Sarah Ann, both born Durnford Wilts. 1842 & 1850. My GRO searches for them brings questions.

Mary Pearcey marries Robert John Wood at Amesbury Wilts. Jy Q 1872 5a 287 (I shall purchase this)
    Yet Ancestry has this - Mary Pearcey marrying Robert John Wood by banns at Christ Church, Plumstead. Greenwich 11 August 1874. Odd?

1901 at Staveley rd Peckham - Sarah Ann Pearcey appears to have a husband Charles Delves and 5 children born betw 1880-1894. Charles is absent pre 1901 and in 1911 the widow Sarah says she’s been married 37 years. Following a clue that Delves’ forename might be flexible, I found a marriage at St Alphege Greenwich Feb 21 1874, also on Ancestry as London C of E Marriages - William Henry Delves, porter, 8 Brand st., f. William Delves, labourer and LOUIE Pearcey, full age, spinster, 25 Trafalger rd. f. William Pearcey, labourer. Witnesses Robert John Wood and Mary Wood. Note the witnesses match the first married couple and William Pearcey is the girls’ father. I’m not sure if purchase of this certificate will provide anything further.

I guess the authorities have no control over whatever names are given at a marriage.

Curiously this Delves family provides another link - in 1913 daughter Gertrude Delves marries a first cousin, Hubert Augustus Pearcey - son of George Hubert Pearcey. Each family seems to change the surname spelling. I’ve tried to search for all permutations.

Incidentally I’ve found the new index to GRO births to 1917 very helpful.

Cheers Heather

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Heather17 View Post

Yet Ancestry has this - Mary Pearcey marrying Robert John Wood by banns at Christ Church, Plumstead. Greenwich 11 August 1874. Odd?
    No, that is not a marriage, just the Banns which were read on July 28, Aug 4 and Aug 11 1872.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Dundee10 - I'd missed distinction of banns BUT why banns in 1874, 2 years after the 1872 Amesbury marriage?

Reputation beyond repute

Heather

The banns were called in 1872!

This is standard. Banns have to be called in the groom's parish (Plumstead) and the bride's parish (Durnford). The marriage was presuably in Durnford.

Starting to feel at home

Peter, Thank you. I missed the date at page top and accepted that wrongly indexed on Ancestry - the opposite page is 1874..