Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Settling in

It appears here then that the elder Bridget Ford will be Patrick's mother 'my Great Great Grandmother' with the maiden name of Connolly then! Wow!

Settling in

My Great Great Grandfather is listed here too now aged 47 on the 1871 Census, but he is not listed on the 1881 Census. It is amazing to see this family building up.... I can't thank you enough for your help, what a great site!

Can you tell me which site you are using for the information please?

I must say I am surprised to see that the sons/brothers Patrick and John were living at different addresses in Sutton and Burtonwood on that 1901 Census list above? It must be right.
    They are at the same address. The place names after their names and details are where they were born. I think I am understanding what you are saying.
    I am using ancestry but if you haven't had a free trial yet with Findmypast the same details will be on there. Just remember to cancel the automatic renewal or you will be charged for a 12month sub.
    Also familysearch.org has some censuses.
    In 1881 Bridget was a widow. This may be Patrick snrs death reg
    Warrington registration district June 1/4 1878 Patrick Ford age 50 vol 8c page 86
    Don't worry too much about the age discrepancy. They could be years out according to the knowledge of the informant and they weren't as fussy back then as we are now.
    You really are very lucky that Patrick went to England with his parents and his younger brothers were born there. So often there is a lone male/female with no connections to identify them.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Hi Christanel

I understand there now with the brothers living at the same address.
    It is great to see Patrick's family unfolding. I can't see it being his siblings that went to America to study law if they were a family of labourers.

However its a pity that Sarah's identity is a little hazy. It could have been her family that went to America? How can I trace Sarah in depth please? Is it a case of searching through the census's for accurate details? My grandmother Mary would have known where her mother was from would you agree? Lets hope I can discover more about Sarah over the coming weeks.

I have just been trying to find the GRO Index where I can search family names etc but I can't actually find it yet ... do you have the site address please?

Thank You again for your assistance Christanel! :-)

To be certain of Sarah William's parentage (wellher father's name and occupation) you need to purchase her marriage certificate using the information I gave from FreeBMD.
    Here is where you order them from. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates.
    It is also where you search for the births.

My grandmother Mary would have known where her mother was from would you agree?
    Not necessarily so. Sometimes people put their birthplace as the place they remembered growing up which wasn't always where they were born.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Hi Christanel
    I have spent the last half hour searching for the GRO INDEX search page, I'm now registered but I can't get one record up for my grandmother birth or death... its just showing No Matches Found .... not a good start for me on there, so I really do appreciate everyone's assistance here today. I have even tried to put Vincent Ford in... still no matches.

I'll still keep trying as I want to apply for the marriage certificate as you suggest for Sarah.

Many thanks again :-)

Hi
    Once you have logged in you should get the page that says What would you like to do? Directly underneath this it says Search the GRO indexes. Click on this and up comes the page Search the GRO Online Index Then click on either birth or death and fill in the name and male/femalebox. When choosing a date range use the +/- 1 or 2 years. Don't bother putting the mother's maiden name as it may be spelt differently. Sometimes the less information the better.
    I just tried it using his names and 1906+/-2 years and it came up. Mother's maiden name Williams.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Get the marriage details from FreeBMD here https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    then order Here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp using the exact spelling recorded on FreeBMD otherwise they will not recognize the record.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123