Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Well I have trawled and finally found an announcement using the information you gave. It is the Japan Weekly Mail (free on Google Books) March 10th 1876 and it quite clearly states.

At Yokohama, March 4th, John Carey Hall Esq, of H B M's Consular Service, to Agnes, daughter of Charles Wycliffe Goodwin Esq, Assistant Judge in H B M's Supreme Court.

Mrs P

Name well known on Brit-Gen

BRILLIANT

Everything I look at states she is his daughter, I have a partial timeline crested will now post

Agnes GOODWIN
    Born
    1850 10th April
    not confirmed by birth certificate or Baptism

1850 - 1861 ?

RG9 62 108 39
    Agnes Goodwin Boarder Unmarried Female 10 1851 Scholar Middlesex, Engla

Living with the family of Edward Henry RUDDEFORD a surgeon at 6 Air Street , St James , St James Westminster

1861 - 1873 ?

1873 – 1876 With father Charles W GODWIN in Japan where she remains until her death

Marriage to John Carey HALL (British Consul-General in Yokohama) in KANAGAWA Japan

Death 5 July 1913 Yokohama Kanagawg Japan

Resume of:
    Charles Wycliffe Goodwin, Assistant Judge British Supreme Court for China and Japan 1874-1876, Acting Chief Judge 1876-1877
    Death 17 Jan 1878 Shanghai China

There is a news report in the Homeward Mail from India, China and the East dated 28 October 1911 about the marriage of Charlotte Wycliffe elder daughter of the late Charles Wycliff Goodwin MA.

This could be a reference to the family he had with Augustine.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    There is a news report in the Homeward Mail from India, China and the East dated 28 October 1911 about the marriage of Charlotte Wycliffe elder daughter of the late Charles Wycliff Goodwin MA.

This could be a reference to the family he had with Augustine.
    that must have been advance notice - she married on 7 December 1911.

janbooth

Fantastic sleuthing all of you and what a great result for wimsey even though there are still questions unanswered. Just shows what combined efforts can result in and what a fresh pair of eyes, plaudits to Mrs P, can accomplish!

I normally use Google Books quite a lot but did not even think of it re Charles Wycliffe GOODWIN or John Carey HALL - just shows how tunnel vision can grab you if you are not careful!

Janet

She must be somewhere in the 1851....

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    what a great result for wimsey
    indeed - many thanks to all. You may now "stand down", as they say.

Oh well back to the domestic chores, no gardening as we have snow!

wimsey

Keep us posted on any developments

Jean

janbooth

I echo what Jean says in the post above - do keep us posted. Snow has disappeared here now, Jean, just miserable and damp!

Janet

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

"Dog with a Bone" and all that, I am sure subconsciously I will always be on the lookout. Back to Bodger's and Buntan's.....

Geneius - that is very telling 'eldest daughter', there is a conundrum here somewhere. Agnes Goodwin in 1861 (and that must be the one) is with the Rudderforth's, yet the Rudderforths and Goodwins didn't combine in marriage until 1865.

Anyway one last interesting snippet. The writings of Sir Edmund Hornby make a few references to Charles and one made me laugh, (yes free Google Books again) he talks about being joined at Cairo by Goodwin ready to go to Suez. He says how ill Goodwin was on the journey and he gave him aconite and belladona 'which soon got the fever under'. Prior to that when waiting for Goodwin at the station he was surprised to find a guard of honour which he quickly realised was not for him but for 'The English Judge' - 'the object being my little fat friend in a pith helmet and a green veil, his newly married wife hanging on his arm'.

Goodbye for now Charles Wycliffe Goodwin and mystery daughter.

Mrs P

Snow!! we have rain and rain and a bit more rain

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567