Thread: BIRNBAUM, Leo

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default BIRNBAUM, Leo

Leo Birnbaum lived in the Leeds area up to the end of WW2. He was described on two separate official documents, once as Reserve Officer, 2nd L(ieutenant?) Czechoslovakian Army and the other as a Sergeant Cadet, 1st Czech Brigade, Dlonka Frida (?). We know he was married to Ella/Elizabeth and had two children. The family returned to Prague in 1945 where he was demobilised and divorced Ella. After that he married my mother and returned to England in mid 1948. If anyone can shed any light on the activities of my father, who died in 1964, during his time in England pre 1945 or in Prague immediately after the war I'd be interested to hear from them.

The 1939 British Census has a Leo Birnbaum born 1915 living in Leeds. You might want to look this record up on Findmypast to see who Leo was living with.
    As a help to other researchers the first marriage of Leo was to Ella/Elizabeth STEIN and there were 2 sons- one born 1940 Leeds and the other 1941 Halifax- I have not posted their names in case they are still alive.
    I will look for other records.
    Phillip

See FamilySearch site- British Committee for Refugees from Czechoslavakia WW2 Public Record Office HO294/612 and HO294/613- Leo Birnbaum b 1915; Alzbeta Birnbaum nee STEIN b 1921; David A Birnbaum b 1940
    Phillip

Is this the Naturalisation Certificate for Leo?- National Archives UK Leo Birnbaum from Czechoslovakia Resident in Northampton Issued 20 April 1950 HO334/339/12431

Are these his parents-Adolf Birnbaum 1878-1928 and Anna Nathan 1885-1942 and Leo's birth Jan 21,1915 Praha Czech Republic- sister Valerie Romevera?
    Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Philip. Thank you very much for these helpful leads. I'd already found his entry in the 1939 Register but there was a redacted entry which I assume was Ella/Elizabeth. I also did a search on BMD records and found he had two children with her but one died as a cot death. Whether the other son, David (who would be my half brother), is still alive or his whereabouts I do not know. The references to the National Archives is new. Hadn't thought of that as a lead. Will chase that one through. By the way where did you get the dates and names of his parents and sister. My nephew and neice have looked at some Czech records but Valerie hasn't popped up before. Best wishes. Jaywise

There is an online Family tree which contains the names of Leo and his parents but you need to confirm that the data is accurate and relevant to your search. This Adolf Birnbaum was a leather merchant.The grandparents of this Leo are also recorded. The Holocaust Memorial Records show the murder of Anna born 05.03.1885 and transported from Prague to Terezin and then to Auschwitz in 1942.
    There are several David Birnbaum in the Free BMD Records including marriages and a Probate Record for a David Birnbaum 4 Habeer St Rehovot Israel died 5 Oct 1985 Probate London but whether or not he is David Adolphus born 1940 requires confirmation.
    I hope this helps.
    Phillip

If you are seeking more data on the Birnbaum roots and family history ( the Birnbaum generic last name) see Avotaynu publications online and the data base on Jewish last names including derivations- see Source book for Jewish Genealogies and family histories. D Zubatsky and I Berent which includes the Birnbaum last name. See also JewishGen Data base for Austria and Czechoslovakia
    which has data on numerous Birnbaum.
    Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Philip. Again many thanks for your guidance. I've rummaged through some of these sites and found a veritable treasure trove of info. Thanks again. Jaywise