Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Missing the GRO PDF service

I've been researching my grandmother's paternal grandparents and tracking her maiden aunt - Elizabeth Larkin born 1859 in Essex. I found two in the 1939 Registration but one was a married lady so I discounted her. I decided to look for the death of my Elizabeth.

I got two possibles: Elizabeth Larkin died Q4 1942 aged 82 (birth year 1860) in the registration district of Sittingbourne Kent. The sub-district is 2a. Looking at my grandfather's 1940 death record he is under ‘Milton’ and with the sub-district 2a. If my understanding of the Registration District website is correct then both Sittingbourne 2a and Milton 2a would have covered Borden in Kent at the relevant time. My grandparents were living in Borden during WWII and my grandfather died there.

The other death record for an Elizabeth Larkin is Q4 1943 with a presumed birth year of 1862. This lady died in Brentwood, Essex. Clearly, there are two Elizabeth Larkins around at the same time – one married and one mine.

Is it likely Elizabeth Larkin, maiden aunt of grandmother, was living and died close to Borden within a couple of years of Grandad? No-one in the current family have any memory of Grandad although someone does vaguely remember "an old lady" being in Borden.

Sorry to ramble but the point of my post is to say that I was hoping to spend just a few pounds and get a PDF of the death certificate for the Kent lady and prove/disprove it was her. I see now that the PDF 'trial' has finished. Shame!

Does anyone know if there are plans to re-introduce this much better (cheaper, quicker) service?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I presume the
    Elizabeth Larkin born 1859 in Essex.
    is the one whose birth was registered in September quarter 1859 in Orsett registration district.
    If so, her birthday should be between about 20 August and 30 September 1859. (In England and Wales you have six weeks in which to register a birth.
    That might help narrow down the Elizabeths in the 1939 Register.

According to the Probate Register, https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar
    the Elizabeth who died in Essex in 1943 lived at 117 Wallwood Road, Leytonstone, London E11, and died in Warley Hospital Brentwood (Essex) on 4 October 1943. She was a widow, and probate was granted to Arthur Wimble Larkin, civil servant.
    Death registration says she was 81. therefore born circa 1862.

The one who died in 1942 in Sittingbourne registration district seems a more likely 'fit' regarding her age at death.

Regarding the possible re-introduction of the PDF service, I think it's a case of wait and see.
    There's three trials going on, and the PDF certificates for the births and deaths listed in the GRO's Historic Index was part 1.
    Part 2 trialled a same-day delivery service.
    Part 3, due to start probably within the next month will offer (IIRC) PDF certificates for marriages, births after 1915 and deaths after 1957. Cost of these will be £8.00, not £6.00.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you for the information about the three part trial. It's a shame they can't roll the whole thing out on PDF for a bigger price reduction on the paper copy. I'd certainly feel more inclined to take a risk and spend money if it was cheaper - not to mention quicker.

I think I've got the right one in 1939 - birth date is 10th August 1959 but I can't see any connection to the other people in the household. I'll have to work on that one!

I agree that the Elizabeth Larkin in Sittingbourne looks most likely. I've since spoken to a cousin who vaguely remembers his mother mentioning a 'nurse' or 'nurse Larkin' in relation to the Borden churchyard where our grandfather is buried. Grandad has no headstone or marker but one of us did contact the Vicar about it and get confirmation Grandad was there. I'm going to see if I can get anything from Borden church on burials of an Elizabeth Larkin 1942/1943 to see if it helps. Fingers crossed!

Just thought I'd give you an update. I asked the Borden Heritage Group if they could look up burial records for Elizabeth Larkin in 1942. There was nothing. Despite that, I decided the coincidence of Elizabeth dying in 1942 near Borden (a very, very small village) and at the same place as my grandfather was too much.

I ordered the certificate and it is right. Elizabeth died in the local infirmary/hospital (formerly the workhouse) but her occupation is given as of my grandmother's address and that she was a spinster and midwife which fits. So, on the trail of who she was with in 1939 now ...................

Thanks for confirming my suspicions and giving me the second opinion I needed to get the certificate.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks for the update, Audrey.

And I'm so pleased it was the right certificate.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”