Default McCormick 2nd Inniskilling Fusiliers

Hi,
    I have the following information of grandfather. William John McCormick

Born 20/8/1896 in Belfast,
    26456 William McCormick, 2nd Inniskilling Fusiliers, captured 21/3/1918 at St Quentin. Father William J McCormic.
    I know a lot of records have been destroyed but would love to find out if anything further on my granadad can be found. Any help much appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Angie
    The Red Cross have details of PoWs on their site https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Thank you peter nicholl for your help. Will start down this path of the Red Cross. Had no idea where to start so really grateful.

Reputation beyond repute

The medal roll lists him as being in the 7th battalion.

His medal card shows him as having had the Victory & British medals, but not the 14/15 Star which shows that he didn't reach the Front until 1916.
    I can't find service or pension records for him.

Thank you both. That's interesting about the battalion. Is it possible that Battalions joined.

I was trying to add an attachment I have. Some of it is written in German.. Very few details other than what I mentioned. Name rank number It definitely says 2nd Battalion and its dated 20th March 1918.
    Its great that he had some medals I've looked for ages but found nothing. could you let me know where I can go to the information you have. Many thanks,Angie

Forgot to ask you Lesley, what are the 14/15 star.

If you got to the Front in 1914, you got the 1914 Star, the same for 1915.

BTW people moved between Battalions and even Regiments as the numbers changed..

Reputation beyond repute

That's interesting about the battalion
    He could have been in the 2nd when he was captured and in the 7th when the medal roll was drawn up.

what are the 14/15 star?
    Further to Lesley's reply. there is an explanation of the medal index cards and a description of the medals here

Have you read the research guide?

Thank you both for your help.
    I know very little about military history. I have tried several times over the years to find information on my grand dad via Ancestry, Find my past and other sites. The little information I have was found by someone on another site but I don't know where it came from. Details are spot on though. He was captured and suffered the affects of mustard gas. I will keep trying to find some documents, now you have given me a little more to go on.
    Many thanks