Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Janet, I think this James Rowley could be the one I am looking for. I haven't looked in great detail, I do have a Find My Past access and I managed to look at this service record. On one page it shows his Next of Kin as Mother Susan Rowley.

Tenbury where the marriage with Bertha occurs is also local to Martley

maybe this is the key to unlocking it!!!

I also cant find a record for James Rowley born in the Worcestershire area - so perhaps my George Rowley is really James.

James/George according to his service record appears to have married a Mary Louise Varnish in Karachi India on 24 Sep 1891India and on FMP that record entry his father is shown as William ( same as that for the person I am looking for) , She dies and he later marries Bertha after he has returned to the UK.

There's quite a bit of corroborating evidence so I'm going to get a couple of copy certs to try to verify this,
    Will be back to update you soon.

thanks
    Anne

Growing old Disgracefully

1881 census of Hallow, Worcestershire, England, you might want to take a look at this household

William Varnish 62 head
    Sarah Varnish 49
    William Fredk. Varnish 20
    Mary Louisa Varnish 18
    Bertha Louisa Whittaker 10 Boarder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    1881 census of Hallow, Worcestershire, England, you might want to take a look at this household

William Varnish 62 head
    Sarah Varnish 49
    William Fredk. Varnish 20
    Mary Louisa Varnish 18
    Bertha Louisa Whittaker 10 Boarder.
    I saw that, which if this is the right person adds to the story in that Bertha had lived with Mary Louisa's family when she was young.. Incidentally I have researched his sister Harriet previously and this forum provided me with a useful link which led to me discovering that she married William Frederick Varnish the brother of Mary Louisa.

janbooth

Sounds like it is starting to fit together, doesn't it Anne. There were quite a few coincidences between your George & James (George) ROWLEY plus the fact that they never appeared in the same census records. Perhaps he decided to go by the name James (George) when he enlisted in the Army because of his criminal record. Here's hoping we have solved the mystery for you anyway. Do let us know the outcome.

Janet

Well I'm pretty sure that George and James George are one and the same person.

His birth certificate is George but his next of kin when he joined the army is Susan Rowley, same name as my great great grandmother and on his wedding certificates his father is shown as William which is Susan's husbands name, so I am pretty sure it is him.

I'm trying to find out a bit more about his army life now as it intrigues me that he married his first English Wife in India. Sadly she died 2 years later. He married his second wife in this country and they returned to India where his children were born.

Once again thanks for the information that has helped me to make the links.

janbooth

Glad it is all starting to come together for you Anne. Have fun with the rest of your research and thank you for the update.

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12