Larry

Default Early Population Figures

Does anyone know if there is a web-site or reference source that would provide early (16th & 17th century) population figures/estimates for the various parishes. I am especially interested in St. Issey circa 1570-1650. Thanks

Larry

Guy Etchells

I don't think there are any sites giving parish populations in the 15th & 16th centuries.
    Genuki may give later poulation figures and trade directories give the population and acreage of the parishes, but again for the 19th & 20th centuries.
    Parish population may be estimated from the parish registers and there were various ecclesiastical surveys and visitations carried out during the period you armessage=I don't think there are any sites giving parish populations in the 15th & 16th centuries.
    Genuki may give later poulation figures and trade directories give the population and acreage of the parishes, but again for the 19th & 20th centuries.
    Parish population may be estimated from the parish registers and there were various ecclesiastical surveys and visitations carried out during the period you are interested in but I don't think the results are online.
    Cheers
    Guy

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Larry
    Does anyone know if there is a web-site or reference source that would provide early (16th & 17th century) population figures/estimates for the various parishes. I am especially interested in St. Issey circa 1570-1650. Thanks
    Larry
    The only way you could do this for an individual parish is to analyse original parish registers, subsidies, musters and from the 17th century, records such as the Hearth Tax Returns.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire