Default Charles Lewis WILTON - parents link

Hi,

I have been stuck on him for some time now, I have him and his family in 1861 Census onwards and I have his Marriage (banns) record but I cannot trace a link to his parents, make a connection to him on 1851 or 1841 Census or find a birth / baptism record.

I can get his father from his marriage certificate and there are a number of 1851 & 1841 Census records where I can find a possible match for Charles but on all of them he is only living with his mother so I can make no connection to his father William.

What I know from his marriage:

Marriage at St Thomas in the Parish of Stepney on 24th Sep 1854
    Charles Lewis Wilton, Bricklayer, living in Stepney, father: William Wilton, Builder
    married - Ann Foulder Kent, living in Stepney, father William Kent

From the Census records I know he was born around 1834-35 in the Hackney, Stepney, Tower Hamlets area but tracking down a record is proving rather tricky, I have spent many hours at the LMA with no luck.

Any help or advice on where to look next would be appreciated.

regards,
    Rick

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Rick,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.
    You say that you've found "a number of 1841 and 1851 census records where I can find a possible record for Charles", so how many possibles are you talking about - two, five - and have you traced them in the 1861 census?

I presume that Charles always says in the census he was born in the Hackney/Stepney/Tower Hamlets, but that might not actually be where he was born. Admittedly in those days people didn't move around so much so he probably was from that area, but people did also tend to put on the census that they were born in the first place they could remember living.

You say that Charles was born 1834-1835, which would make him only 19 or 20 when he married in 1854, though the marriage certificate says 'full age', i.e. 21 or over. How do Ann's census ages agree with her alleged 'full age' ? Have you found a baptism for her?
    How rigidly have you stuck to 1834-1835 when searching for a baptism for Charles?

Have you searched for a burial for a William Wilton, especially in the Hackney/Stepney area?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

Can you please provide some census references.

In addition to Pam's excellent suggestions, I would advise you to bear in mind the possibility that William Wilton never existed.

Of the possible sightings in 1851 (particularly where there's just him and a mother), have you been able to eliminate any as possibilities?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Can you please provide some census references.

In addition to Pam's excellent suggestions, I would advise you to bear in mind the possibility that William Wilton never existed.

Of the possible sightings in 1851 (particularly where there's just him and a mother), have you been able to eliminate any as possibilities?
    I did mean to say that as well, but forgot.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Just thought I would put this into the mix. Have you eliminated him?
    There is a baptism 29 Dec 1833 (born 6 Dec) at Saint Matthews, Bethnal Green, for a Charles lewis Welton on familysearch.org but the parents are James and Sophia.
    I haven't tried following this one in the censuses but I see that Charles and Ann have a daughter Sophia age 2 in 1871 census.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Can you confirm, or not that these censuses are your folks? If we can establish exactly who we are looking for it's a big help.

1861, Limehouse St Ann. RG 9; Piece: 286; Folio: 121; Page: 33
    Charles Wilton 27, bricklayer, Stepney, the sheet has very faint writing, difficult to read, the others in the household I think were born in Limehouse, there's Ann 26, Mary 5, Lewis 3, and Joseph 1.

1871, Poplar All Saints. RG10; Piece: 582; Folio: 50; Page: 28. (indexed on Ancestry as WILKE)
    Alma

In 1851 there is a Charles Wilton, age 15, grandson, born London, with these people in Chipping Sodbury, Wiltshire.
    HO107; Piece: 1956; Folio: 123; Page: 21
    Jane Longstaff 69, landed proprietor, West Kingston, Wiltshire
    Ann Wilson 41, dau, annuitant, Chipping Sodbury
    Maria J Shipton 25, granddau, Birmingham
    Charles Wilton 15, grandson, London
    Mary Plaras 20, servant

Maria J Shipton appears to be the daughter of Martin Noble Shipton and they can be found together in 1841
    HO107; Piece: 956; Book: 4; Folio 18; Page 28.

Martin Noble Shipton married Elizabeth Harvey 27 Aug 1816, Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire. Witnesses: Jane Shipton, Ann Harvey, Wm Longstaff

Have you checked and discounted this Charles Wilton?
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Can you confirm, or not that these censuses are your folks? If we can establish exactly who we are looking for it's a big help.

1861, Limehouse St Ann. RG 9; Piece: 286; Folio: 121; Page: 33
    Charles Wilton 27, bricklayer, Stepney, the sheet has very faint writing, difficult to read, the others in the household I think were born in Limehouse, there's Ann 26, Mary 5, Lewis 3, and Joseph 1.

1871, Poplar All Saints. RG10; Piece: 582; Folio: 50; Page: 28. (indexed on Ancestry as WILKE)
    Wow - thanks for all the responses, yes the above are the 1861 and 1871 Census records for Charles, I also have him on the 1911 Censes, living with his daughter Sophia and have a record for his death but have not ordered the certificate.

1911, Poplar. RG14; Piece: 1699; Folio: 198; Page: 394
    Death - Jan/Feb/Mar 1915 Poplar record 1c 728

Hi Almach,

Thanks for this, Ann has annuitant next to her name and is marked as a Widow which suggests her husband is dead in 1851 but William is not listed as deceased on Charles marriage document, I know this could have been left off so it is worth me researching this one.

once again thank you for your help.

Rick