Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Query - 1939 Register

I have the 1939 Register image for a Harold EVANS (born in 1925) from Haverstock West R D, Pembrokeshire.

His date of birth was initially recorded as 2 Sep 25. Above is an entry "26 9 25 WRJ" which is his correct date of birth. Any suggestions on the meaning of "WRJ".

Also on his father's entry, the number '30' has been entered in the ROLE Column - would that be the number of years in a role, such as "Officer". He was born in 1893.His occupation was recorded as Ship's Rigger.

As a bonus further down the image I found Harold's grandmother, two uncles and an aunt. They were living at the same house in the 1911 census!!

David

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by David Tuson View Post
    His date of birth was initially recorded as 2 Sep 25. Above is an entry "26 9 25 WRJ" which is his correct date of birth. Any suggestions on the meaning of "WRJ".
    If it is handwritten I would suggest they are probably the initials of the person who entered the correction.

I did wonder about that, thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Can only agree with macwil re the WRJ, but I've never (that I can recall) seen any other amendments initialled.

Hadn't a clue what you meant by 'Role' column so went googling and found that it's column 5, headed O V S P or I. It refers only to institutions and means Officer, Visitor, Servant, Patient, or Inmate.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...1939-register/

Have to say that I don't think it's 30 though - I think the last character is a D. Unless it's '310',
    If you have a sub to FMP, go forward to image 24 and there's entry with an amendment in green ink with 310 written beside it and Harold's father's entry has been amended. Presumably 310 is a code.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Can only agree with macwil re the WRJ, but I've never (that I can recall) seen any other amendments initialled.

Hadn't a clue what you meant by 'Role' column so went googling and found that it's column 5, headed O V S P or I. It refers only to institutions and means Officer, Visitor, Servant, Patient, or Inmate.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...1939-register/

Have to say that I don't think it's 30 though - I think the last character is a D. Unless it's '310',
    If you have a sub to FMP, go forward to image 24 and there's entry with an amendment in green ink with 310 written beside it and Harold's father's entry has been amended. Presumably 310 is a code.

Pam
    Hi Pam
    I had been to the National Archives site to find out what that column meant before posting as I'd never bothered looking at it previously.. I'll go back and see if 310 is a code and hopefully it's meaning.
    Thanks David

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

David,

Believe it or not, I think I've cracked the 310 code.
    Though it perhaps only applies when it's written in green.

First of all, don't ask my why I started to check out some of hubby's family tonight, but I was looking at one of them on the 1939 Register and noticed that he had had his entry amended in green and 310 was written by the side of the entry.
    (All names and dates have been altered)
    Original entry - Frederick Browne.
    Amended entry - Frederick Joseph Brown.
    Note that when Frederick died in 1978, his death was registered as Frederick Joseph Brown.

On another family page I noticed another entry (no relation) with an amendment and 310, both in green.
    Checked that one out.
    Original entry Mary Emma Clark.
    Amended to Mary Harriet Emma Clark.
    Death registration for Mary Harriet E Clark in 1978. Date of birth on death registration is the same as in the 1939 Register.

I've also checked it out with a third person, same thing applies.
    What these people also have in common is that they died between 1976 and 1979, so the 310 in green code may have only applied in certain years.
    Be interesting if anyone else can report 310 in green codes for years outside of the 1970s.

ADDED:
    Found two or three more entries, all of whom died in the 1970s. Earliest in 1972.
    But then found one which doesn't 'work'. Can't find a 'suitable' death for her under either surname. So now I'm but still think my original theory correct.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Believe it or not, I think I've cracked the 310 code
    Yay! Well done, Pam.

David, do you know if Harold Evans moved from Pembrokeshire to Swindon, Wiltshire? I ask, as the only information I can find for an abbreviation of three letters applies to area codes, and WRJ is for Swindon. Otherwise the letters probably are a person's initials.
    Alma

I ask, as the only information I can find for an abbreviation of three letters applies to area codes, and WRJ is for Swindon.
    May be scrap that idea, as I cannot find a death in Wiltshire. I'm stumped unless the letters are someone's initials.
    Alma

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by David Tuson View Post
    I have the 1939 Register image for a Harold EVANS (born in 1925) from Haverstock West R D, Pembrokeshire.

The place is actually HAVERFORDWEST

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The place is actually HAVERFORDWEST
    Oops, silly me, sorry for typing the wrong place name - put it down to old age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast