abremner

Default AIRBORNE NUTTERS

Hi. I am a Newbie. I was looking through some past threads and saw that there was a thread started by Drew5233 about a JOHN BRENAN.

TomTAS suggested JOHN BREMNER and Drew5233 asked for more info and Tom suggested Major John BREMNER RASC

My Dad was MAJOR JOHN IRONSIDE BREMNER and his war record shows :

TOS HQ 1 PARA BDG from 458 Coy RASC DIV troops and Appt DADST HQ 1 Para

I would love to know whether this fits in. I am at the age when I need to tell my son and grandson as much as I can about Dad.

He was in the TA - ARTISTS RIFLES - and commissioned in Oct 39. He was in North Africa with 51st Highland Division then Sicily and back to UK to prepare for D Day etc.

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW MORE.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    You say you found information postedby Drew5233 and TomTas.
    I went searching for these members but their names are not showing up at all.
    Is it possible you can copy and paste the URL of the post you found so we can help you further.
    Sorry I have to leave this for now
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi Christina

They are on WW2 talk.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

abremner

DREW5233 posted Sep 30 2009 - TomTAS Very Senior Member replied the same day. Are they still about? Has anyone anything on my father Major JOHN IRONSIDE BREMNER Service No 105157 RASC / 51st Highland Division. I am particularly interested in finding out why he was Mentioned in Dispatches.Is there an address or a list? He never spoke about the war, of course. He simply said "I had a good war - I survived".

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

abremner -
    This is the British-Genealogy forum.

The DREW5233 and TomTAS were on an entirely different forum, nothing to do with us, called ww2talk. This is the thread to which you refer https://www.
    ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/possibly-one-for-the-airborne-nutters.17486/#post-201432
    DREW5233 is still active on that forum.

I presume that you have your father's service records. The National Archives at Kew have various guides.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rce#step-three
    I would suggest that perhaps the combat reports 1939-1945 and/or operations record books 1939-1945 with possibly RAF operations would be the ones to look at for more clues as to exactly where your father might have been.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I forgot to add that if you know the (approximate) date of the 'Mentioned in dispatches' you could try the newspapers local to where he/his parents/his wife was living.
    For whereabouts of the newspapers, try the library in the nearest main town, main library in the county town, then the county archives.
    You might have to search for at least several weeks after the Mention to allow time for the news to reach home.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”