Default REME 7 W/Shop Coy

I believe my mother's cousin, Douglas Graham Copley, was at or near Tobruk and El Alamein. I have 2 WW2 forces Christmas cards sent to his parents. Some of the details on them are

S/Sgt D G Copley 7609297 REME 7 W/Shop Coy ℅ ABW CMF
    Card has ref 431272
    Passed by Censor No 4567

D G Copley 7 W/Shop Coy ABW CMF
    Card has ref 404947
    Passed by Censor No 6889

I would be grateful for any help I can get to find details of REME 7 W/Shop Coy's WW2.

Reputation beyond repute

Didn't CMF mean Central Mediterranean Forces?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.

The MoD still holds WW11 service records but you can purchase them, for a cost of 30pounds.You will also need the person's death certificate. This 'sticky' explains and gives a link where you can download the application forms.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

I had a look at the National Archives catalogue using the search term
    reme AND 7 AND (workshop OR wksp)
    and restricting the search to 1939-1945.

These are all war diaries but I don't know enough about REME organisation to interpret the results. Does anything look likely to you?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ro=any&_st=adv

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.

The MoD still holds WW11 service records but you can purchase them, for a cost of 30pounds.You will also need the person's death certificate. This 'sticky' explains and gives a link where you can download the application forms.

Christina
    Thank you for your message but if you visit my post 466/135 (M) HAA Regt RA 1941 to 1945 you will see I have already bought a WW2 service record for my father-in-law from the MOD. I made that post because his service record does clearly show where his unit was located. I thought someone might be able to point me in the direction of say war diaries filling in such gaps for Doug's Workshop.

Thank you for your message. I will follow up your suggestion when I am able to.

Hi Christina

Sorry for the typo in my note of thanks to you. I meant to say that the full WW2 service record I bought for my father-in-law does not give any indication of where his unit was after he was posted to it. The WW1 full service record for my grandfather John Charles Hunter, bought from the Fleet Air Arm Museum, gave me a much better idea of where "Charlie" had been. For example I now know that he was in Gallipoli, Port Said - Egypt, a patient in hospital on Malta and at Bapaume, near Riencourt where he was gassed on 25 August 1918 .

His service record also led to me receiving an email suggesting that on 29 April 1915 - the day the Anzacs landed at Anzac Cove, John Charles, who was serving in the RMMU of the RND - was sent to the Hospital Ship HS Grantully to help soldiers wounded in that operation.

Best wishes

Doggie