Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

There's a William Serle in Stoke Damerel in 1841 with wife Grace - not sure if this is the right one as occ is labourer.

William the shoemaker appears in 1851 transcribed as Seale living with son George at 31 Mount Street and agin in 1861 as William Perle retired shoemaker living with a William Perle 50, shoemaker and wife Louisa 48 at 8 Bakers Place.

Thereis a burial in August 1862 for a William Serle aged 77 address 8 Bakers Place.

Emeltee

janbooth

I haven't found the baptisms of any of the children except the 2 non-conformist baptisms at Morice Street for Alfred & Lavinia in 1825. I haven't found a marriage for the Edwin I have found in the census records yet to confirm that he is the son of William snr, but there is a William John SERLE whose birth is registered in the Dec qtr 1842 at Stoke Damerel and his mother's maiden name is shown as FULLERTON. She is in the 1841 census of Morice, Stoke Damerel (HO107/273/1, folio 24, page 41) but I still cannot find a marriage between her and Edwin.

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

I can find Edwin Serle with wife Jane and children in 1851 (HO107/1881/F299/p6) at 8 Mount Street, in 1871 (RG10/2128/F9/p10) at Fore Street and in 1881 (RG11/2209/F81/p6) at 22 King Street.

I have checked all the childrens births and they all have mmn Fullerton. I am certain I have the right couple as in 1881 there is a John Fullerton living with them, described as wife's brother.

What I can't find is a birth/baptism or a marriage for Edwin.

Emeltee

janbooth

There seems to be a dearth of baptismal records for the children of William SERLE, Shoe Maker, & Mary his wife, between 1805 when a William SERLE, whom I think may have been their son, was baptised and buried in Stoke Damerel in an Anglican church and subsequent baptisms of children Alfred & Lavinia in 1825 at Morice Street Wesleyan. So where were they in the intervening years?

Loads of baptisms for William, Edwin & George SERLE, or variants, but none with the parents William & Mary, he being a shoemaker.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff1959 View Post
    I am unable to make out the name of the street name on the copy that I have. Does Charles the Martyr still exist? Is there an OPC that might be able to de-cypher the address? It appears to be ?EAKER Street.
    Could the address be Pembroke Lane as on the 1841 census below?

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I think this 1841 census record is for a family of Serle's, it has been indexed on Ancestry as HILL and I'd be interested to know others' opinions. All are shoemakers, born in Devon.
    HO107; Piece:272; Book: 3; Folio: 32; Page: 58
    Pembroke Lane Stoke Damerel.
    William Hill 25
    Alfred Hill 25
    Edwin Hill 20
    Geo Hill 15
    Alma

Geoff1959

I would like to thank all those who posted information. There are some interesting leads to follow up.
    It did suprise me the a simple request for verification of a street name would raise questions. I do not and have never expected to get something for nothing. Like most people I have invested a lot of time and money in exploring my family history and at one time or another held subscriptions with the majority of information providers. Currently I have subscriptions with FMP, Ancestory and DHFS.
    In the original post the is no mention of a look up request on FMP or any other commercial site.

Regards,
    Geoff

In the original post the is no mention of a look up request on FMP or any other commercial site.
    Correct, Geoff Unfortunately some members got a little carried away and suggested some unethical practices, we, Brit-Gen are committed to not breaking commercial sites T&C's, this is to protect our members, but some don't appear to realise this

Ah well!

You, obviously do. We always realised you weren't expecting a free look up

Good luck with your research, and do come back to us if you need help.
    Alma

Geoff1959

Thank you - I have always found this site a welcoming and helpful place. Long may that continue.

janbooth

Good luck with the rest of your research, Geoff. It sometimes gives us fellow researchers a break from our own brickwalls trying to help others, stimulating the "little grey cells" and refreshing us for our own research once more.

Janet

Geoff1959

I have had a look at the1841 census and agree that it could easily be "William SERLE" in that record.

HO107; Piece:272; Book: 3; Folio: 32; Page: 58
    Pembroke Lane Stoke Damerel.
    William Hill 25
    Alfred Hill 25
    Edwin Hill 20
    Geo Hill 15
    That opens up interesting possibilities. I have a definitive dob for Alfred of 6 Dec 1815 in Kingsand. That falls into line with the above in the 1841 census putting his age at 25 (birth 1816?) What is really interesting is that the census has William also aged 25 meaning a potential birth also in 1816. That does seem unlikely. I do not have a precise dob other than c1812. George is also interesting as the cencus has his age as 15 (birth1826) I have his age as c1821. Is it unusual for ages to be that far out? why would they deliberately say they were older than they were. Anyone else like a puzzle? Regards, Geoff

Other questions that it raises are where are William snr and Louisa (father and mother)? What happened to Edwin?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast