Starting to feel at home

Default Looking for parents

Hi Folks

I'm looking for the parents of William C Evans Dob 1901, Kensington, London.
    He married Esther D Doe Dob 1908, Kensington, London in the 3rd Qtr 1928.
    They had a son Dob 1934, Kensington, London.
    I have looked on the gro indexes for William 1901 Volume 01A Page 117
    and it gives the mothers as Rice.....
    I am unable to find a marriage for an Evans and a Rice.....

Your help would very much appreciated

Many Thanks

Tom
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 11-02-2017 at 5:23 PM. Reason: Name of possible living person deleted in accordance with our T&Cs.

Loves to help with queries

If that's all you know about him, how do you know you have the right William Evans on the GRO birth index? Such a common name, you really need to get a copy of his marriage certificate which will at least have his father's name and occupation.

Sue

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    Hi Folks

I'm looking for the parents of William C Evans Dob 1901, Kensington, London.
    He married Esther D Doe Dob 1908, Kensington, London in the 3rd Qtr 1928.
    Have you made a typo because according to the GRO Index it was a William D Evans who married Esther D Roe in 1928, Kensington registration district.
    ADDED: Just checked the actual entry in the GRO Index as opposed to the FreeBMD transcription. FreeBMD is incorrect, it should be William C, and I have advised them of the error.
    I have slapped my wrist for not checking properly in the first instance.

However, if you check the 1939 Register for an Esther D Evans born 1908 then yes, the name of (presumably her spouse) is listed as William C. But his year of birth is 1904.

They had a son Dob 1934, Kensington, London.
    I have looked on the gro indexes for William 1901 Volume 01A Page 117
    and it gives the mothers as Rice.....
    You need to be careful because that birth registration (September quarter) has no middle name, just plain William. Yes, people did add middle names but don't assume.

I am unable to find a marriage for an Evans and a Rice.....

Your help would very much appreciated

Many Thanks

Tom
    FreeBMD has eight (male) Evans with a female Rice marriages between 1890 and 1900 though admittedly none of then were in Kensington registration district.
    You need to bear in mind that William's mother could have been a widow when she married his father so the name she married with would not be her maiden name.

As Sue has asked - do you have William and Esther's marriage certificate? That's the best way to make sure that you give William the correct parents. Or I would accept the names on the birth certificate of the son that it was a William C who married Esther.

I would have asked if you'd found William on the 1911 census, but as it would seem (based on the 1939 Register) that you have his birth year incorrect that's a senseless question.

I would suggest that you begin by looking at the 1939 Register to check the entry and see if you think this is your William and Esther.
    If so, then look very carefully at William's birthdate, and think equally carefully exactly when the birth might have been registered, and then look again for the birth registration. If you get stuck, then come back to the thread and post his date of birth to get more advice.

But as Sue says, you need to tread carefully and not just assume things because William Evans is a very common name. Even in Kensington.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Name well known on Brit-Gen

William C EVANS dob 1904
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 11-02-2017 at 7:22 PM. Reason: Details in breach of FMPs T&Cs removed.

Knowledgeable and helpful

You most certainly don't have the correct birth. The birth ref you have quoted is for a birth registered in the July/August/September Quarter of the year and the 1901 Census was taken on 31st March of that year.

1901 RG13/26/F79/p56

8 Treverton Street, N Kensington
    Fredk Evans 23 Gas & Bridge Rivetter N Kensington
    Mary A Evans wife 22 Ironer N Kensington
    Elizabeth Evans 2 dau N Kensington
    William Evans son 6 mths N Kensington

Something then seems to go awry with the family. In 1911 they are at the same address

Frederick Evans 33 Plater and Rivetter
    Mary Ann Evans 32 Laundress
    Frederick Evans son 8
    William Evans son 6
    Ellen Evans dau 13
    Mary Ann Evans 8 mths

All born N Kensington

I'm presuming Ellen and Elizabeth are probably one and the same. Did William born 1900 die and they called another son William?

Emeltee

Emeltee - thank you for your post, but can I ask that you hold fire on any more stuff for the moment, please.

I want Tom to check/confirm previous information before we get too carried away.
    He needs to do it himself because he may come to different results than we've found.

Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful

Think I've sorted it now

Frederick Patrick Evans/Mary Ann Ashby married Dec 1898 Kensington 1a 316

I can find the following births

William Frederick Dec 1900 Kensington 1a 87 mmn Ashby Death age 2 June 1903 Kensington 1a 58
    Frederick Patrick Mar 1903 Kensingtom 1a 137 mmn Ashby
    William Charles Mar 1905 Kensington 1a 121 mmn Ashby
    Mary Ann Sep 1910 Kensington 1a 139 mmn Ashby

Somehow seem to miss Elizabeth/Ellen

Emeltee

Sorry Pam, posts must have crossed
    Last edited by emeltee; 11-02-2017 at 7:46 PM. Reason: addition

No real problem, Emeltee, but from experience I've found it best not to get too far ahead of myself when at least one piece of original information doesn't tie up with found facts. In this case, the alleged birth year of William to what seems the actual one on the 1939 Register.

Pam