Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It's not on any of the lists I have, but the last "P" is surely "pay" since it goes on to give a rate of 6 pennies per day?

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Abbreviations in WW2Talk has - With Travel pay provided.
    What does the line above it say?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Dear trevor
    I found out that W.P.P Was an additional award for proficiency in gaining his qualification as a gunner, and extra 6d per day added to the 5 shillings he originally earned. He trained on the Bofor anti-aircraft guns, in Somerset. Served in the Italian campaign in the Appenine Mountains.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Regards Jenny.

Dear Sue
    I have researched my dads service records and followed his time in Italy, he did arrive in Taranto 9th September 1944 then from
    Taranto through Assisi, past Lake Trasimene, through Arezzo, Perugia, Florence, Firenzuola then Castel Del Rio, and onto an assembly point at Sant’ Apollinare, he fought in the Apennine Mountains for a very long hard winter in appalling conditions. Then onto the battle for the River Po. He was then sent to Milan ( I can't find out in what context) was there for a month then home on leave for a month. After which he was returned to Milan for about 4 months. He had a medical in Milan for his future release from the army, left there and back to uk to be released into the T.A as a reserve and back to civi street, late 1945. I realised our dads may have at some time been in the same battles up until the River Po. As your Dad then went north east to Austria. Read the following very sad article.

The effect on morale of fighting in the mountains in winter have been discussed from winter 1944/45 so with the additional problems that the 78th division had faced since Egypt, the desertion figure of 927 men for October to December, it is a little more understandable that desertions were higher in the 1st East Surreys and Northamptons because it is these battalions who bore the brunt of the weather and the fighting throughout the appalling winter.

Appendix 4.
    Reasons for Desertion – The Adjutant-General- February 1944
    a) Five percent are criminals who have no interest or intention to fight.
    b) Men desert who are nervous and should never have been in the line at all.
    c) They desert because they have been overseas to long.
    d) Because they have been in the line too long or consider they have had too much continuous fighting.
    e) They are sent as reinforcements to strange regiments or battalions in which they have no friends and find they cannot make friends

I can't imagine how aweful the conditions were for these guys. My dad was a very meek, Unassuming man who had led a very sheltered life, so I admire him for sticking out.
    Regards Jenny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123