Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    They are not the same. There is a no 4 court 5 and a no 5 court 4 as separate addresses, as seen below from the 1939 electoral rolls. It may however have been written incorrectly on the certificate.
    ][/URL]
    Sorry I disagree, They are the same. I didn't say that there were not two different addresses just that the same address had been written two different ways. The Electoral roll is written as Bishop St. No. 5, Court 4 whereas on the birth cert it is written as 4 Court, No. 5 Bishop St. (No. and punctuation added for clarity)

What do the letters to the left of the names, denote?
    They denote eligibility to vote in elections. See this thread for explanation https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ral-Roll-Codes
    Last edited by macwil; 09-02-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: additional comment for clarity

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Macwill
    You seem to agree with me as to which house is referred to. It is unfortunate that the certificate was imprecise.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    Macwill
    You seem to agree with me as to which house is referred to. It is unfortunate that the certificate was imprecise.
    Sorry, but I don't think the birth cert. was imprecise.

It was imprecise, because it gave rise to two interpretations.Your interpretation (with added no and punctuation) makes it precise, but the original is imprecise.

A fountain of knowledge

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Yes I agree

Starting to feel at home

Default Update

I have, today, received copies of my grandfathers' service records from the Coldstream Guards, and very informative they are too.

Included in the paperwork is a photocopy of a letter, written by my Grandmother,Ann Ellis(Morrall), in 1958, to the Coldstream Guards, asking for details of where my Grandfather was buried. She says that she did have them, but her son (my father) took the paperwork with him when he went off to war, and lost it at Dunkirk. She wanted the location of the grave because his daughter wanted to go and see it.

There is also a list of his children, DOB's, etc. together with his marriage details.

Travel bookings have been made to visit Gouzeaucourt British Cemetery in July.

Although unconfirmed, as yet, I have a reasonable paternal line back to my GGGGGF (b 1841), another horse trader.

Lots of mileage left in this search, I'm sure.

Steve.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks for the update, Steve,

Sounds as if you got your money's worth with those service records. Hope my dad's are as detailed when I (eventually) send for his.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

I have received an email from CWGC.

" Good morning Mr Ellis

Thank you for your email regarding Private T Ellis.

You will be pleased to hear that we have amended our records and this will appear on our website at the next update. Arrangements will also be made to add his age onto the headstone.

We are grateful to you for bringing this to our attention.

Kind regards

Maria Choules
    Records Section"

An outcome that was never considered when I decided to try and find out about my GF.

Steve.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234