Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

[QUOTE=Jjam0137;639804]
    Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post

Hi all, thought Steve was joking about standing on his head, but are you seeing it upside down or something? It previewed the right way and is correct when I view the post. Or am I missing something? :/
    I think you'll find that you are the only person seeing the image the right way up, because I'm someone else who's seeing it upside-down.
    Do not ask me why you see it one way while the rest of us see it another, because my knowledge of computers is limited to knowing how to switch mine on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jjam0137 View Post
    Hi Pam,

Understandable, however it is my grandfather who has indeed passed. Wouldn't have posted otherwise. Ok to repost?
    Re the full image, strictly speaking it's anyone named in the certificate, but especially the person whose birth certificate it is. And I think she might still be alive. In which case, it's sorry, no can do.
    It is perfectly OK to post the occupation because that doesn't identify anyone, and you could even add the columns where the registrar's squiggled his name and the date of registration to possibly help with working out how he 'forms' his letters.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find that you are the only person seeing the image the right way up, because I'm someone else who's seeing it upside-down.
    The image contains EXIF data that indicates that the image was posted upside down. Perhaps some browsers (not mine) use the data to orientate the image correctly.

If the certificate comes from GRO the questioner could perhaps try the register office to check what the original looks like.

Dundee10

I think the first word is Blacksmith. The letter in the middle of the word looks similar to the 'k' at the end of Frederick.

The second last letter is the same as the 't' in Father.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Wow, Dundee, I think you might be right about blacksmith.

I'm, now trying to think of another word which would go with blacksmith such as 'blacksmith and ironmonger', though I know that's wrong because there's no downward stroke for the 'g'. I also think the 'second' word ends in 'man.
    I say 'second' because I wonder if what might be a capital letter of the second word is actually the registrar's
    attempt at an '&'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

Could it be "Blacksmith's Hammerman"?

Wow, Dundee, I think you might be right about blacksmith.
    Yes, I think so too, well done Dundee.

Could the second word be hammerman?
    Alma

Peter beat me to it, but good to know we agree on the possibility of hammerman.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Could it be "Blacksmith's Hammerman"?
    I agree!

Jane

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Re the full image, strictly speaking it's anyone named in the certificate, but especially the person whose birth certificate it is. And I think she might still be alive. In which case, it's sorry, no can do.
    It is perfectly OK to post the occupation because that doesn't identify anyone, and you could even add the columns where the registrar's squiggled his name and the date of registration to possibly help with working out how he 'forms' his letters.

Pam[/QUOTE]

Hi Pam, totally forgot for a mo which cert I had posted as I was too focused on the person's occupation. You are indeed correct. My own mother's cert. very much alive! Duh! Thanks for removing! 😲 🙄

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    The image contains EXIF data that indicates that the image was posted upside down. Perhaps some browsers (not mine) use the data to orientate the image correctly.

If the certificate comes from GRO the questioner could perhaps try the register office to check what the original looks like.

Hi Peter,

How odd, didn't know that happened! Do you think if i post it upside down then it may correct itself??

Am hoping to get to Reg Office one day, but distance a costs prevail at the moment unfortunately

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast