Paulbenn

Default Thomas Bennet(t) Born 1845 (Possibly)

Can anyone make a suggestion please ? I am not long at this ancestry detective lark but I have got stuck on something and I would appreciate knowing any ways around my current “roadblock”. Here is the problem: My Grandfather is John (Jack) Prentice Bennett – Old Monkland, Lanarkshire. He was the son of Thomas Bennet(t) who was born 1845(?) Bothwell/Bellshill (Scotland) and died 1902 in Britain – which makes sense to me because of later history. I cannot find a birth record for Thomas though (using Scotlands People) so have to rely on his Census returns for his birth details . Thomas’s marriage registration details( 1868 – toJanet Prentice) reveal his father , William Bennet(t) to have predeceased him at that time but that his mother was still alive, namely Anne Bruce Marshall (bad hand writing but fairly OK about that). Now, I found William died in 1855 and a list of his “issue” (including from a prior marriage) but it doesn’t include Thomas in 1845 ? I tried Census returns to try and pin down who was living with who etc but that didn’t go well either ! Could only find Thomas & his mum in 1861 ie after death of William in 1855. Ideally I would like to trace my lineage back on the assumption that William is the right place to start BUT the “links” between Thomas & his parents seem tenuous to say the least ! Any ideas would be welcome.

Have you got his 1855 death certificate?
    What are you calculating that 1845 birth from? Do you have him in 1851? BMDs didn't start in Scotland until 1855, so you have to rely on church registers and if your folk were not Church of Scotland, their records may not appear among the parish registers. You can sometimes also find registers for the non conformist churches.
    Have a look at the help messages at the top of this forum...

Paulbenn

Default Thomas Bennett - Birth 1842 ?

Hello Lesley & thanks for having a look for me. Can I clarify somethings first:

William Bennet(t) : Died in 1855
    I have his death registration & it lists all his children BUT NOT Thomas
    Ann Bruce Marshall was his second wife but Thomas doesnt come up as born to her or
    1st wife.... or at least I cannot find him.

Thomas Bennett; His death in 1902 in Britain I know about BUT
    His birth I can so far ONLY get from his census (1861) & UK 1901 & Scots marriage
    Both Thomas & William were Church of Scotland

The problem is that I dont seem to have any steady ground to build from. Anyway, thanks for the input and I will go and try a bit deeper. But keep your super sharp eyes open and any titbits you pick up will be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Have you got his 1855 death certificate?
    What are you calculating that 1845 birth from? Do you have him in 1851? BMDs didn't start in Scotland until 1855, so you have to rely on church registers and if your folk were not Church of Scotland, their records may not appear among the parish registers. You can sometimes also find registers for the non conformist churches.
    Have a look at the help messages at the top of this forum...

The information on a death certificate is only as good as the person who gave it. My next question is who registered the death? Was Thomas the first child?

Paulbenn

Default Thomas Bennett - Birth 1842 ?

Hello Again Lesley - you raise a very good point. The death was registered by William's son Robert (then aged circa 20). Thomas was supposedly born around 1842/18455 +/- so he was not the eldest child but most likely the last.

Thanks

Paul

The information on a death certificate is only as good as the person who gave it. My next question is who registered the death? Was Thomas the first child?

My Great Uncle got his mother's name wrong when he registered his father's death, but then she had died when he was young and he probably only knew her as Mother or something similar...

Have you eliminated Thomas Bennet, bap 19 Apr 1842, Cambridge St United Presbyterian, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. He's listed on the FamilySearch site. The UP were a non-conformist Church in Scotland (Church splitting was a national sport in the 19th century) and whether or not their records were integrated with the CoS ones depended on the tolerance of the CoS parish Minister. Unfortunately, the FamilySearch entry only gives the family surname, but they give the reference to a microfilm. If there's a LDS centre near you, it might be worth asking them to order the film for you to check that entry and look for other family members...
    Do you know when he married wives 1 and 2? Is there a chance that they were actually 2 and 3?

Paulbenn

Hello Again Lesley - and very many thanks for that most useful response. You have made me so much better informed ....(its an uphill task to make me wiser" ! , but better informed is a great start !). I will be hot on the trail now with your suggestion and I will try and let you know the outcome in due course.

Yours gratefully

Paul

My Great Uncle got his mother's name wrong when he registered his father's death, but then she had died when he was young and he probably only knew her as Mother or something similar...

Have you eliminated Thomas Bennet, bap 19 Apr 1842, Cambridge St United Presbyterian, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. He's listed on the FamilySearch site. The UP were a non-conformist Church in Scotland (Church splitting was a national sport in the 19th century) and whether or not their records were integrated with the CoS ones depended on the tolerance of the CoS parish Minister. Unfortunately, the FamilySearch entry only gives the family surname, but they give the reference to a microfilm. If there's a LDS centre near you, it might be worth asking them to order the film for you to check that entry and look for other family members...
    Do you know when he married wives 1 and 2? Is there a chance that they were actually 2 and 3?

Dundee10

I am only looking at census transcriptions so you would need to look at the originals on ScotlandsPeople for the following.....

The Ann BENNETT that you found with son Thomas in 1861 has a birthplace of Tarbert, Stirlingshire. Going back to 1851 there is a family at Coatbridge, Old Monkland (BENNAT on SP and KENNAT on Ancestry) consisting of William, 50, a Plate Layer, born Falkirk, Ann, 50, (place of birth transcribed as Larbert), Robert, 16, Ann, 14, John CALLOCK, 9, and Thomas WILLIAMS aged 6.

Parish Number: 652; ED: 13; Page: 7; Household schedule number: 19

In 1841 at Clarkston there is a William and Ann BENNET, both aged 40, Ann, 9, Robert, 7, and William, 6 months. There are a number of other people mixed up with their entry.

Parish Number: 651; ED: 2b; Page: 11 (should that be 29, not 2b?)

William Jnr's baptism in 1841 at Dunbeth Relief Church, Coatbridge:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYQ4-J4F

Paulbenn

My word ! Dundee is on the ball again I see.

Thank you ever so much for that. I don't know if its me using SP or what but I didn't get that quality result when I searched it ! However going back knowing what to look for was much easier thanks to you. Most grateful, think I am firmer ground now. I will get back to the search and see what transpires. Thanks very much.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    I am only looking at census transcriptions so you would need to look at the originals on ScotlandsPeople for the following.....

The Ann BENNETT that you found with son Thomas in 1861 has a birthplace of Tarbert, Stirlingshire. Going back to 1851 there is a family at Coatbridge, Old Monkland (BENNAT on SP and KENNAT on Ancestry) consisting of William, 50, a Plate Layer, born Falkirk, Ann, 50, (place of birth transcribed as Larbert), Robert, 16, Ann, 14, John CALLOCK, 9, and Thomas WILLIAMS aged 6.

Parish Number: 652; ED: 13; Page: 7; Household schedule number: 19

In 1841 at Clarkston there is a William and Ann BENNET, both aged 40, Ann, 9, Robert, 7, and William, 6 months. There are a number of other people mixed up with their entry.

Parish Number: 651; ED: 2b; Page: 11 (should that be 29, not 2b?)

William Jnr's baptism in 1841 at Dunbeth Relief Church, Coatbridge:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYQ4-J4F