Loves to help with queries

Default George Hope of Kirklinton

Does anyone have any information about a George Hope (1816-1901) and Jane Chambers who married 9/11/1839 in Kirklinton. Many thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful

I presume that you have all the details about the couple to be found on the familysearch site, including the Censuses? I can't find anything to add to what is available there.

Emeltee

Default George Hope of Kirklinton

Sorry, but not familiar with family search site. However I did find a tree, which gave George 1816-1901; a Jane Chambers as his wife, and listed 7 children. I found their marriage on FreeBDM index. That is the sum total of my knowledge. Jane may have died in 1894 according to FreeBDM. I was hoping someone might know more regarding Jane, perhaps parents names etc. I do not have any census, but I will try and obtain the 1881. Thank you for responding.

Growing old Disgracefully

If it helps you here is the

1881 Census

Name George Hope
    Age 65
    Estimated Birth Year abt 1816
    Relationship to Head Head
    Spouse Jane Hope
    Gender Male
    Where born Kirklinton, Cumberland, England
    Civil parish Kirklinton Middle
    County/Island Cumberland
    Country England
    Street Address 13 Smithfield
    Marital Status Married
    Occupation Stone Cutter
    Registration district Longtown
    ED, institution, or vessel 10
    Piece 5152
    Folio 123
    Page number 3
    Household Members, Name, Age
    George Hope 65
    Jane Hope 65
    David Hope 31
    Thomas Hope 29
    Jane Hope 24
    Mary Hope 20
    George Bell 30

From marriage George Hope Father is John Hope
    and Jane Chambers Father is David Chambers

7 Children are
    John
    James
    David
    Thomas
    George
    Jane
    Mary

These are on the Census 1841 Census, has George and Jane and son John with Jane's parents David and Mary Chambers at Hill House Cottage Kirklinton, Cumberland, England.

There are about 10 Family trees on ancestry for this family but I never look at other peoples trees as not all the information is correct on some of them.

Brick wall demolition expert!

1841 Census Ref: Class: HO107; Piece: 169; Book: 1, Folio: 19; Page: 33 : Kirklington, Cumberland. They are living with David and Mary Chambers and have 1 son John. George is a stone mason, and David Chambers aged 70 is an agricultural labourer.

David Chambers died in 1848. Mary Chambers died 1867.

1851 Census Ref: Class: HO107; Piece: 2428; Folio: 322; Page: 9 : Kirklington, Cumberland. 4 sons: John James George and David. Jane is same age as her husband, who is a journeyman mason. They are all born locally.

1861 Census Ref: Class: RG 9; Piece: 3912; Folio: 60; Page: 14 : Kirklington, Cumberland. 4 sons: James, George, David, Thomas and 2 daughters Jane and Mary. George is a Tombstone cutter.

1871 Census Ref: Class: RG10; Piece: 5214; Folio: 46; Page: 3: Kirklington, Cumberland. 3 sons: George, David, Thomas and 2 daughters Jane and Mary and in what looks like the next household, is a lone lady Mary Ann Hope aged 23 “wife” who is not listed as the head of the house, and is described as a mason’s wife; could she be a daughter in law? George and his sons are described as sculptors.

1881 Census Ref: Class: RG11; Piece: 5152; Folio: 123; Page: 3: Kirklington, Cumberland. 2 sons: David and Thomas and 2 daughters Jane and Mary. George and his sons are stone cutters. Lower down on the same page of the census you will find James Hope aged 37 a Stone Cutter living with his wife Mary Ann and their children. This is probably George and Jane’s son James.

1891 Census Ref: Class: RG12; Piece: 4283; Folio: 107; Page: 9: Kirklington, Cumberland. 2 sons: David and Thomas and 1 daughter Mary. Also there are 3 grandchildren Mary A and George Hope aged 19 and 16 respectively and James Graham aged 4. George and his sons are stone cutters. His grandson is a postman.

Jane Hope died 20 Sep 1894.

George Hope died 13 Feb 1901 and probate was granted 27 March 1901 at Carlisle to David and Thomas Hope. He left an estate valued at £1772 2s 3d.

David Chambers married Mary Johnstone 1 August 1814 Kirklington. Mary Johnstone was baptised 16 April 1780 in Kirklington to Hugh and Jane Johnstone. Hugh Johnstone aged 28 married Jane Moffit aged 24 26 May 1773 in Kirklinton.

Thank you everyone so much. Megan, yes in the 1871 census the lone Mary Ann was the wife of James Hope, stone cutter. It is that line I am pursuing. Mary Ann was a Walker born in Berkshire (I think) and she died in 1906 (I think) but that is all I know of her.
    It will take me a while to digest everyone's posts, hopefully I wont have to trouble you again, but I am very grateful for the help.

Knowledgeable and helpful

For future reference the LDS (Mormon) Church site at familysearch.org is a good place to start looking for ancestors.

As I said in my earlier post there is a lot of information re George and Jane.

Emeltee

Mary Ann Walker 81 census has her date of birth as 1849 Berkshire, 91 Census has her born 1848 Wokingham, Berkshire, and 1901 Census has her born 1855 Wolkingham