Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Edward Bruyn (France) late 1700s early 1800s

This is a wild card search.

I am wanting to find out if there is a marriage for an Edward Bruyn/Bruin to a Margaret ? in the late 1700's early 1800's possibly near or at Graville, Le Havre, Seine, France (that is where their son Daniel, his wife and their children lived when they were in France in the 1840's just before the Industrial Revolution and they had to flee).

I am lead to believe via my Great Grandmother's sister Ellen Bruyn's Obituary that they came from a Long Establish French family.

Her father was born in Roscommon Ireland about 1813 but I suspect his parents (or one of them) may have come from France and may have even been married in France but I have no evidence to say either way. (it is a hopeful guess)

Thanks in Advance.

Wayne, that spelling (Bruyn, Bruin, Bruijn) is Dutch/Flemish. Are you sure that they didn't originate a little further north, maybe in what was then known in the Low Countries (now mostly Belgium)? The population of western Europe did move around quite a lot time, although I'm not sure why an Industrial Revolution would force anyone to flee (emigrate yes, a lot did).

France didn't have a good middle 19th century - there was a revolution against the Bourbon monarchs in 1830 when when the House of Orleans took over the Monarchy until 1848 when they had another revolution and Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte became President. In 1851 there was a coup after which he declared himself Emperor Napoleon and ruled until 1870.

Alternatively, maybe it was Edward's wife who was French.
    What did these people do for a living?

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cook View Post
    This is a wild card search.

I am wanting to find out if there is a marriage for an Edward Bruyn/Bruin to a Margaret ? in the late 1700's early 1800's possibly near or at Graville, Le Havre, Seine, France (that is where their son Daniel, his wife and their children lived when they were in France in the 1840's just before the Industrial Revolution and they had to flee).

I am lead to believe via my Great Grandmother's sister Ellen Bruyn's Obituary that they came from a Long Establish French family.

Her father was born in Roscommon Ireland about 1813 but I suspect his parents (or one of them) may have come from France and may have even been married in France but I have no evidence to say either way. (it is a hopeful guess)

Thanks in Advance.
    I'm sorry I can't help at all with this query, even though Roscommon caught my eye as I have distant ancestors from there.

But I just had to say this typifies what I love about this Brit-Gen forum (and genealogy in general) - family rumours, a bit of history and geography, the odd document quoted (Great Grandmother's sister's Obituary) and a random wildcard plea for help. I love it.

Best of luck with the other replies.

MTS

1848 revolution plus states a long Established French Family. Her sisters Margaret Monaghan and Elizabeth Cook (my Great Grandmother) were alive when she died and this obit was written (they lived in France with her at the time and would know their family connections and origins).

Lesley, I have used near Graville, Le Havre, Seine, France as a starting point as I know their son's family lived there for 4 years when they were in France and left there in 1848 when the revolution was happening.

Lesley, I know their son was a Blacksmith (the one who went to France for 4 years with his family and then had to flee in 1848). Yes it could be his wife that was French but I have no surname for her at this point in time. Hence trying to locate a Marriage.

That fits with what I said - Bonaparte took over in 1848. Not an industrial revolution but just another ambitious man who didn't mind who got hurt...

You're right to start simply. There's a lot of unknowns. A lot depends on what the obit meant - for example we don't know what they meant by long-established... 3 generations or 5?

In your place, I would go to the search engine on FamilySearch.org and feed it with the different spellings of Bruyn, specifying France and the relevant time period and see what pops up. If you then move the search into Belgium, you'll have to add the bride's name as the surname becomes more common.
    Don't forget that the west coast of Europe had a lot of wars over the 18th/19th centuries (the Spanish, the Napoleons, etc) and a lot of Churches for burned...

Thanks. I will try that site again. I was of the belief, it was an Industrial Revolution because it was over people like the Bruyn family going to France and taking away the jobs of the French people. Hence most left when the revolution started without their wages and belongings as they fled.