Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Where do I find records of summons?

My Grandfather was handed a summons by the local bobby whom he knew, then walked with him to the local school where he worked as a handicraft assistant and hung himself! This was Feb 1926 in Wallingford. I have the graphic newspaper cutting of the event but have always wanted to know why. My mother was never told anything and at 4 years old whisked away with her mother to Plymouth where she stayed with not much further contact.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I don't think that I have ever seen records of summons as such. You would need to know what court it was issued by. I would look for the coroner court records of his suicide as that is probably most likely to give you clues.

Because the death took place in 1926 its the change over date for where records might be held. The link below is to the National Archives page giving you details:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ners-inquests/

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

It looks like I may have to pay to find out any more. The Berkshire Records office is the place, but a few years ago I tried and they had nothing. I know new information is becoming available all the time so will try to email them again. it is something that has always played on my mind, and feel I need to know.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi Jemrock

I see you say you have the newspaper cutting of his suicide so obviously that does not give any details of what the summons was about. Have you done a general search online of the newspapers to see if his name crops up in any other articles.

You might be able to access them free through your local library on the online sites or even with your library card. New papers are being added all the time so worth continuing to check.

Mrs Poppy

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes I have tried but it appears to be the only entry in the newspaper, this was the last paragraph. No letters have ever been seen by my mother who has since died.

Inspector Goddard said he had occasion on the previous afternoon, about 3.30 to speak to Mr Rowe at his front gate. Witness said to him “Do you know who I am?” and deceased replied “I believe so”. Witness said to him, “I have some summonses to serve on you; will you accept them in the road or shall we go indoors?” Deceased turned round, came out of the gate, and said “We will go back to the school.” On the way deceased lighted a cigarette, talked of the weather and things in general, but made no mention of the subject of his interview, nor did he ask him what he wanted. On arriving at the classroom, witness took the summonses from his pocket and said to him “Will you read them yourself, or shall I read them to you?” Deceased asked him to read them, and he did so. All he said in reply was “ It is not for me to say here, is it?” Witness left him standing at the bench about 3.50. He followed P.C.Vile to the scene of the tragedy later, and found the three letters produced, one of which was addressed to his wife and another to Mr Owen, schoolmaster, Didcot. Witness knew deceased, but had never spoken to him before. When he left him in the afternoon he was perfectly rational and in full possession of his faculties.

The Coroner having summed up the evidence at some length, the jury retired to consider their verdict and returned one of felo de se, and expressed their deep sympathy with the relatives of the deceased.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Oh bless him, it could have been anything and it just pushed him over the edge.

I have checked police notebooks and charge books in our local archives but they are closed for 100 years so most likely you couldn't access those, even if they existed, as it was 1926.

Mrs Poppy