Default HANNAH SIMMONDS-EDWARD ISAACS

This new thread should be read in conjunction with earlier threads on the Jacobs/Simmonds and specifically Woolf Simmonds-Eve Jacobs; Simmonds lines; Abraham Benjamin and Rebecca Simmonds among several others. This new post is a brief start researching the Hannah Simmonds aka SIMMONS and Zadok aka Edward ISAACS lines. These lines were originally noted in a Jacobs family tree dated July 1915 and I have posted on the various families recorded in the tree.
    However, I had failed to note on Synagogue Scribes website the following entry:
    HSM 121 Marriage
    Hannah SIMMONS Married August 14 1825 Father's Hebrew name Benjamin Wolf ( Mr) - Zadok ISAACS Hebrew name Tsadok Newington Causeway Father's Hebrew name Isaac.
    Benjamin Wolf Simmons is aka Wolf Simmonds aka William Simmonds aka Simons aka Simmons- he was the husband of Eve Jacobs and a clothier in Newington Surrey. The family tree records Zadok as Ted the Anglicised name.
    Further research is needed to identify and confirm that Hannah Simmonds who appears in the 1881 British Census as a widow age 74 born Newington Surrey is the same individual as in the 1825 Marriage but the evidence suggests that she is.
    Phillip

The 1915 hand written family tree of the Simmonds/Jacobs et al recorded the children of Hannah Simmonds aka Simmons and Ted Isaacs as Benjamin, Edwin, Julia, Isaac, Eve. No dates of birth or any other details were recorded. In searching for further data on the lines I have noted the New York Passenger Lists the following:
    Hannah Isaacs 29
    Benjamin Isaacs 10
    Edwin Isaacs 8
    Eve Isaacs 6
    Isaac Isaacs 4
    Simeon Isaacs 2
    Departure Port London arrival New York 29 June 1839 - Ship "Ontarian"

Further research is needed to confirm whether or not this is the relevant family.
    Phillip

As part of my ongoing research I have noted the Admission and Discharge Records for Southwark Workhouse Christchurch May 1838. These records contain the admission of Benjamin Isaacs b 1828 age 10; Edwin Isaacs b 1831 age 7; Eve Isaacs b 1832 age 6; Isaacs Isaacs b 1834 age 4. Cause of admission Deserted by Father a Tailor- the children were recorded as Jews and transferred to their Parish Newington 1 November 1838.
    They were discharged by their Grandfather.
    The ages of the children appear to match those of the children who sailed with Hannah Isaacs for New York in 1839.
    There is no Simeon Isaacs recorded in the Workhouse Records and there is no Hannah Isaacs born circa 1807. There is a Hannah Isaacs b 1817 age 21 with daughter Elizabeth age 6 months admitted St Andrew Holborn Shoreditch Hackney 13 October 1838.

The Newington location maybe an important clue because that there the Parish where Wolf aka William Simmons aka Simmonds the father of Hannah Isaacs lived. He was the grandfather of the Benjamin, Edwin, Eve, Isaac, Julia recorded on the 1915 family tree.
    Again, further research is needed to confirm that the children in the workhouse are those of Hannah Isaacs.

Phillip

The following records are an update on Hannah Simmonds who married Edwin Isaacs. Hannah was the daughter of Wolf Simmonds and Eve Jacobs. The Hamburg, Germany, Deaths 1874-1950 record in German- 20 October 1883 Hannah Isaacs nee Simmonds- husband Edwin Isaacs- there is a reference to a John Isaacs but since I cannot read German the connection or relationship that he had with Hannah is not known. The parents of Hannah were Wolff Simmonds and Evi. Her age at death 77 years.

Another Burial Record for Hamburg shows- Hannah Simmonds Isaacs born Oct 1806 Death 19 Oct 1883 Burial Judischfer Friedhof Ohlsdorf Hamburg Plot A11 Nr.317

JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry has a very brief record with no details- Hanna Isaacs at the above cemetery.

What remains unknown is what happened to Edwin aka Ted Isaacs and their children? Is she the same Hannah Isaacs who went to New York in 1839 with several children?

If anyone is able to translate the German on the Death Record of Hannah Isaacs -see Ancestry.Com for the record- I would be very grateful.

Phillip