Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Apsey

Default John Apsey

Hi

Many years ago when I started doing my tree, I came across a 1st Cousin - John Apsey - born in Chatham, Kent in or around 1816.

This is where my problem starts - I have an exact date of 25 May 1816. For the love of me, I cannot remember where I got that date from as all those years ago, I did not keep a record and I now have a cousin asking me where the date came from. I believe other Ancestry Records may have copied my work, when my tree used to be public.

Census records work out his date for 1816 or 1817.

Would anyone on here be able to help me, locate the exact date for me? I do not know where to look online - I have looked at my records and other paperwork, but no luck.

Thank you in advance
    Richard.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Who were his parents?

Is this it from familysearch.org
    OR the IGI fisches?

Reputation beyond repute

Chatham parish registers are online via CityArk (Medway Archives).

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Who were his parents?

Is this it from familysearch.org
    OR the IGI fisches?
    His parents were - Michael Apsey and Mary Warren..both from the Wimborne Minster area in Dorset.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Following on from Peter's note about Chatham PRs being online this link will take you to Chatham St Mary's which, if I've read the previous page correctly, is the only parish church in Chatham in 1816/1817.
    https://tinyurl.com/zvqa3s3

The site is a bit fiddly because you have to view each page separately. If John's birth was 25 May 1816, start at image 435 and work your way forward. That block of pages ends in September 1816. If he's not in there, then you'll need the next block, which are found under result number 25. https://tinyurl.com/5gkshq

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Following on from Peter's note about Chatham PRs being online this link will take you to Chatham St Mary's which, if I've read the previous page correctly, is the only parish church in Chatham in 1816/1817.
    https://tinyurl.com/zvqa3s3

The site is a bit fiddly because you have to view each page separately. If John's birth was 25 May 1816, start at image 435 and work your way forward. That block of pages ends in September 1816. If he's not in there, then you'll need the next block, which are found under result number 25. https://tinyurl.com/5gkshq

Pam
    Hi
    Just want to say thank you - although, I have not found my cousin -yet....I will continue...lol
    Yes - it is a minefield.
    Richard

I haven't found John, but did find two sisters' on City Ark.

Baptised Chatham Nov 17 1816, Maria Warren APSY, dau of Michael and Mary of Sheerness.
    Also Joan (all details as for Maria)
    Alma

Drat. I am so sorry Richard, I forgot to tell you that there are two parish register pages per image on the CityArk website. I do hope that you spotted that.

However I hope I may be forgiven because I've found something you might not have. John's marriage certificate to Sarah Morgan on 28 June 1851 in Gillingham. Entry is on the right-hand side of the image so you will need to scroll across. (That's when I remembered about the baptism images having two pages. )
    https://tinyurl.com/z6umpoq
    Image number 418.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

Baptised Chatham Nov 17 1816, Maria Warren APSY, dau of Michael and Mary of Sheerness.
    Firstly - as ever, good spot, Alma.

Now I wouldn't say I get suspicious and I know it says 'daughter of' but anyone else think that Joan and John have similar spellings? Vicar (or possibly parish clerk) makes rough notes about the day's baptisms, entries not transferred to the actual parish registers till (possibly a couple of days) later. Rough book entry doesn't say 'daughter of' just a name - and, because there's already one girl baptised vicar gets confused and reads John as Joan.
    I know that 'rough books' existed because there are some extant for Great Yarmouth.

Feel free to destroy my theory by finding a marriage or a burial for Joan, and/or a positive baptism for John.

Forgot to say, Maria and Joan's baptisms are on page 462 of the 'result 25' link I gave you in post #5, Richard.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

Hello
    Is it possible to let me have those records, as it helps our research..
    We know of a girl called Joan, but nothing else..
    Regards
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast