Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JimMM

Default Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

My Grandfather, who died in 1964, Allan B G Collins 279096 Private 2/6 Battalion A & S H was, during and just after WW1 was in Mesopotamia (now Iraq), Constantinople, Turkey (now Istanbul) and finally in Russia as part of the White Army. I have been trying to find out more about exactly where he was and what he did but as his records were lost at Kew during WW2 I have pretty much hit a blank. He told me all about it around 1963 but I was just a daft 13 year old boy and paid little attention. I am keen to find out more -my Grandfather, who was very well read, was a Batman but that is all I really know. Any info would be much appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Hi...can you expand on "lost at Kew" ? If he served after 1920 his records should still be held by the ministry of defence.

JimMM

Default A&S Highlanders

Apparently all the WW1 records of the Argyll were kept at Kew (West of London) and were damages/partially lost in a bombing/ fire during WW2.This is what I was told when I enquired at Stirling Castle.

Reputation beyond repute

They weren't in Kew, they were in central London but I think the point Gortonboy was making was that service records of men who served after 1920 are still with the Ministry of Defence.

I'm having trouble finding any trace of anyone with the details you provided. We would expect to find at least evidence of campaign medals awarded. Also The Long Long Trail site says the 2/6 battalion didn't go overseas.

Would you mind checking the identity details please.

JimMM

He didn't serve after 1920 -as far as I can find other details are correct - I was told there was a repository for records at/near the Botanic Gardens in Kew when i enquired at the Argylls Museum in Strirling Castle..

Reputation beyond repute

They were in the Army Records site in Arnside Street (Walworth) which was hit by an incendiary bomb in 1940. However this does not help with the problem.

The nearest thing to a nominal roll of Great War soldiers is the Medal Roll Index Cards. We would expect to find him listed there.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rds-1914-1920/

Another version is on Ancestry.

I'm afraid I can't spot him. Perhaps you may have more luck.

I can't spot him either. Searching using just the regiment number only bring up two entries on the Medal Roll index cards
    Richard C Hillier London Regiment, regiment numbers 656173, 279096
    Antheny Lally Royal Field Artillery regiment numbers 646378, 279096

Searching for Al*an Collins, any regiment gives 4 results, Three of them Allan Collins and one Alban Collins. None with the regimental number 279096 and none in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

What is the source for the regiment and number you have for this man?

Christina

Edited to add;-
    The Forces War Record site gives the following for the 2/6th battalion in WW1
    2/6th (Renfrewshire) Battalion Territorial Force
    Sept 1914 Formed at Paisley and then moved to Falkirk as part of the 193rd Brigade of the 64th Division.
    Autumn 1915 Moved to Forfarshire.
    08.11.1915 Became the No. 10 Battalion.
    Mar 1916 Resumed identity and moved to Norwich.
    April 1917 Moved to Taverham and then Norwich.
    Mar 1918 Left the 64th Division.
    13.03.1918 Disbanded.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I thought that soldiers who didn't leave the U.K. didn't get medals.
    That would explain his absence from the Rolls....

His postwar activity could still be with MOD.

Reputation beyond repute

That would explain his absence from the Rolls....
    Yes indeed. That's all we can infer from the identity details provided and what we've found or not found - this man did not serve overseas.

Peter. if someone's service lasted past 1921 and the MOD still has the records, would he appear on the medals index? It's not actually relevant here as message #5 says he didn't serve after 1920 but it would be useful to know..

Jim where did you get the number and regiment from? It's extremely unusual that he isn't on the medals index....

PS Before anyone starts looking for background info, his death is registered on Scotlands People.
    Jim, have you managed to read the occupation given on the death certificate? The first word is definitely torpedo, and the last two are officer (retired) but I'm having a lot of trouble with 3 of the 4 words in between. Torpedo _1__ _2__ Department _3__ Officer. 3 might be "clerical".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast