Thread: Isaiah Levy

kimberley

Default Isaiah Levy

Seeking info. regarding the parents of my 3x Gt. Grand father as above born, Ebenezer Square St. Botolphs Aldgate 1788 died 1847. Married Catherine Jones 1816 Kings Lynn ,she was the daughter of Hart Jones ,I have loads of info on the Jones family,but find great difficulty on find any info on Isaiah,s family , one snippet i have,is when Isaiah changed his name to Lee, his parents where named as Solomon and Phoebe.

Kimberley
    There is a London Insurance Record ( see JewishGen UK Data Bases) for Isaiah Solomon LEVY -22 Ebenezer Square 13.07.1788. Isaiah appears later at 28 Great Saint Helens in 1781 and 8 Vine Street New Square Minories but his widow Elizabeth Levy in 1784 took over the policy. I note that in your first post you have the parents of Isaiah Levy aka Lee as Solomon and Phoebe. I have also seen your earlier posts in 2012 where you have sought to identify Isaiah's parents.
    The 1788 record may or may not refer to Isaiah's parents but the Ebenezer Square address appears a useful clue.
    For other researchers, data on the lines appears in several Ancestry.Com family trees and on Familysearch where records of the births of Isaiah's and Catherine's children are recorded.
    In addition, there is significant data on the Jones lines - see The Jones Dental Dynasty which appears in the detailed records made by Margaret E Macculoch and David J Hall online.
    There are also Newspaper records for Isaiah Levy aka Lee including the death of his wife Catherine- see also the 1841 British Census (Copyright,TNA) HO107 6341 2 2 7 10
    Silverstreet Gainsborough Lincolnshire
    Isaiah Levy 55? Watchmaker Not born in county
    Isabella 20
    Ester 16
    Phoebe 9
    George 9
    Sophia 7
    All children born in county.
    Phillip

Kimberley
    The following record again may or may not be relevant to your search but see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 148 Solomon Gompertz Probate 1791- see reference to his nephew Solomon Levy watchmaker now residing in London with children Rebecca, Polly, Elizabeth, ISAIAH, Hyman. This record post dates the death of the Isaiah Solomon Levy with wife Elizabeth but maybe worth looking at the Isaiah Levy named in the Gompertz will. It was often usual for a son/s to follow the same trade as their father and I noted in the various records that Isaiah Levy aka Lee was a watch and clock maker.
    Phillip

Brian
    You refer to Solomon and Phoebe being the parents of Isaiah. Can you say where you got this information from. Here is a 'long shot'- Synagogue Scribes PSEM 114
    Marriage 1787
    Solomon Levy Hebrew name Eliakom Zalman father Wolf (Ze'eb) LEVI
    Spouse Phoebe WOOLFE father's Hebrew name Abraham
    Place of Origin Rotenburg-an-Fulda Hesse

The ketubah for Isaiah and Catherine may have been lost by the family or not lodged with any Synagogue. This marriage record could( they can vary in detail) contain details of parents. The Jews of Kings Lynn held meetings in their houses pre building of the Synagogue in the early part of the 19th Century - see the JewishGen UK Data base on the Kings Lynn community.
    Try and post as much as you know on Isaiah- did he have siblings?
    Phillip

Brian
    These maybe siblings of Isaiah providing of course that Solomon Levy/Phoebe Woolfe are his parents:
    Synagogue Scribes Website- PMRCIRC 076
    Moses Levy Hebrew name Moses Mozus Circumcision 20 August 1790 Poole father Solomon Levy -Eliakom Zalman ( Solomon) b Ze'eb ( Wolf) Levi Hessen-father Solomon Levy lived in Portsmouth from 1787, being briefly in Poole from 1790
    PSEM 186
    Joseph Levy 1808 Marriage -father Solomon Eliakom Zalman Levi-spouse Esther Davids- To Southampton - New York
    Phillip

kimberley

Default Isaiah Levy

Phillip
    When Isaiah converted in 1840, at All Saints Gainsborough,his parents were named as Solomon and Phoebe.I found amongst my fathers papers a note with the following [ I Levy born 2nd ,cant make out next word],Jan 7th . 1788 Parents then living in Ebenezer Square St. Botolphs Aldgate there is also some writing in,i believe Hebrew which i cant translate. In 1851 he was living with his eldest son Benjamin at 41 Rathbone Place London
    Brian
    Last edited by kimberley; 09-02-2017 at 9:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Brian
    You say that Isaiah was living with his son in 1851. Looking at various data including family trees I noted Isaiah died in 1847. Have you got the right data? I also noted that Catherine who died in 1838 was removed from Gainsborough to Hull for internment.
    Stamford Mercury Lincolnshire 9 March 1838
    "At Gainsborough Weds 1st , Mrs Levy wife of Mr Isaiah Levy, silversmith and watchmaker. Her remains were removed to Hull for internment". This is interesting because I know her father died in Norfolk in 1852. Any reason for why Catherine was buried away from her husband?

It is possible that the Society of Genealogists Anglo Jewish Collection London holds data on the Levy line. I am aware of the resources having consulted them on several occasions. These resources can also be obtained from the Latter Day Saints by requesting the micro films and viewing them at one of their local centres. In addition, the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain, London has a library containing hundreds of family trees including Levy/Levi but you would need to visit.
    You need the Hebrew translated on the note from your father regarding Isaiah- you might want to ask listers at British Jewry for help.
    What other data do you hold on Isaiah/
    Phillip

Brian
    I have seen data on the various children of Isaiah and Catherine but for clarity noted:
    Death- In London on the 11th inst. Mr Isaiah Lee, formerly of Gainsborough... Lincolnshire Chronicle Friday 15 Oct 1847
    Death- .."Of consumption, Esther third daughter of the late Isaiah Lee of Gainsborough" Stamford Mercury Lincolnshire Friday Oct 6 1853.

Phillip

kimberley

Phillip
    My mistake regarding 1851 dont know where that came from , two interesting items regarding Isaiah ,he was a Freemason Trent /Yarborough lodges Gainsborough ,first payment 1834,also a member of Gainsborough Philharmonic society
    Brian
    ps.I have contacted the Freemasons and they are going to let me know if they have any info. on Isaiah
    Brian

Brian
    You asked me about the names of individuals living in Ebenezer Square in 1788. I have looked at the following records:
    UK Land Tax Redemption Records 1798 ( nothing earlier from current research but need to look more thoroughly) -these are surnames (first names are also recorded) Josiah Levy,Lyon Levy, Michael Levy plus Moses,Lyon,Davies,Harris,Wagg,Jacobs,Cohen,Samuel, Marks,Lazarus,Davis,Hart, Mordecai.
    The UK Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures 1710-1811- Solomon Levy 7 Nov 1785 St Botolph's Aldgate London Watch maker- Simon Gompertz- see #3 where you have uncle and nephew
    Weds 11 Sept 1776 Master James Mitchell watch maker Tower Hill in the Liberty of the Tower- apprentice Solomon Levy
    The London Land Tax Records 1692-1932 have records on several Solomon Levy from 1757 but I can't see specific reference to Ebenezer Square.

There may well be further records held at the London Metropolitan Archives. Similarly, the JGSGB and Society of Genealogists could also hold records on Solomon Levy father of Isaiah.
    Phillip