Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Alfred Anderson b.1882 Sunderland

Hello.

I seem to have reached yet another brick wall.

I am struggling to find any information in regards to an ancestor by the name of Alfred Anderson (b. 1882 +/- 1 year), no parents names, no birth place.

He was most likely (based on his death record) born in 1882. Precisely where I don't know.

I know he married Elizabeth Ann Potts in June 1902 at St. Cuthbert's Church, Monkwearmoth, Sunderland, Durham, England.

He died in 1928. This was again in Sunderland.

18 years after his death on 03 July 1946 he is mentioned in his wife's death notice in the Sunderland Echo and Shipping Gazette.
    It reads: "DEATHS ANDERSON. General Hospital. June 29. Aged 62 years. Elizabeth Ann. Beloved wife of late Alfred Anderson. Interment Sunderland Thursday, leaving residence ?sasi 140. Service, Seamen's Curch, Tatham Street."

The only Alfred Anderson b.1882 registered in the county on the 1901 Census was an Able Seaman, living in St Stephen's Ayer's Quay Parish. He was born in Sweden.

The aforementioned Alfred doesn't seem to be in the 1911 Census, so is likely irrelevant.

On 18 August 1917 there was an Alfred Anderson in Sunderland whom enlisted in the Royal Navy. Date of birth was 26th May 1882, Sunderland.

The Merchant Navy Records also make reference to Military Service by an Alfred Anderson b.1882 between 1918-1921.

Any help here would, as always be much appreciated!

Dundee10

Where are you looking for information? Alfred and Elizabeth's children are easy enough to find on the free GRO indexes and from there the family can be located in 1911 where Alfred is an Overlooker aged 28 and born in Sunderland. The GRO indexes show a birth at Sunderland in 1883 with mother's maiden name BAILEY which may be him but you would need his father's name and occupation from the marriage certificate to confirm.

Starting to feel at home

Hmmm. I'm convinced that Alfred was born in 1882, not '83.

This is stated on his death certificate, registered in the 4th quarter of 1928.

In which quarter was the 1883 birth registered?

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Information recorded on death certificates are as reliable as the knowledge of the informant. I have seen many instances of incorrect information recorded on death certificates.

You can check the information in the new GRO index https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...cates/menu.asp
    The birth was registered Sept1/4 1883.
    You will have to register but it is free.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

These are the two sons who are recorded as deceased on the 1911 census.
    Births Alfred Anderson Dec 1/4 1905 registration district Auckland mmn Potts
    Ralph Anderson September 1/4 1904 reg dist Sunderland mmn Potts
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Mcleeds View Post
    Hmmm. I'm convinced that Alfred was born in 1882, not '83.

This is stated on his death certificate, registered in the 4th quarter of 1928.

In which quarter was the 1883 birth registered?
    This doesn't sound as if you have the actual death certificate but only the indexed registration on FreeBMD or the GRO index.
    The death certiiicate would tell you who the informant was but even so it is common for ages on death certs to be wrong as gortonboy says.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

I'm actually not at this time in possession of the death cert.

I was able to gather Alfred's age at death (46) and estimated birth year (based on the age, 1882).

Alfred's death cert. is something that I will be very likely ordering in due course.

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

I am struggling to find any information in regards to an ancestor by the name of Alfred Anderson (b. 1882 +/- 1 year), no parents names, no birth place.

He was most likely (based on his death record) born in 1882. Precisely where I don't know.

I know he married Elizabeth Ann Potts in June 1902 at St. Cuthbert's Church, Monkwearmoth, Sunderland, Durham, England.

He died in 1928. This was again in Sunderland.
    I did find their marriage in the Parish Register's - as reported on your previous thread - https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...light=anderson - post #14

This gives his father --

Alfred ANDERSON - age 20 - Bachelor - Labourer - of 12 Hamilton St. - father's name and occupation - James ANDERSON - Labourer

marries on June 25th 1902 at St Cuthberts Church, Monkwearmouth (a district of Sunderland, on the north side of the River Wear)

Elizabeth Ann POTTS - age 18 - Spinster - of 12 Hamilton St. - father's name and occupation - Matthew POTTS - Labourer

Looks like they lived at the same address.

There is an Alfred Anderson in the index for Sunderland Cemetry buried October 1928.

Cheers, MTS

Once again, I have copies and details for you if you want to cantact me via pm or email

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

18 years after his death on 03 July 1946 he is mentioned in his wife's death notice in the Sunderland Echo and Shipping Gazette.
    It reads: "DEATHS ANDERSON. General Hospital. June 29. Aged 62 years. Elizabeth Ann. Beloved wife of late Alfred Anderson. Interment Sunderland Thursday, leaving residence ?sasi 140. Service, Seamen's Curch, Tatham Street."
    If you look up the actual report ...residence ?sasi 140 - actualy reads - residence (42 East St) --- which makes more sense.

Cheers, MTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast