Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lauraathawes

Default Brickwall - Athawes

Hi All,

I have hit a brickwall with a few of my ancestors on the census records and wondered if someone would have a different approch for looking them up as I have tried everything I can think of, with no luck.

Harold William Athawes B: 1871 West Hanney, Berkshire - missing of 1881, 1901 and 1939. Appears on the 1891 census with his parents William & Caroline and the 1911 with his wife Clara. I have checked all other family members (Uncles/Aunts/Grandparents/Siblings) but isn't with any of them, I have found his wife on the 1939 register but not him. He didn't die until 1941 so he must be there somewhere!!

Frederick Arthur Athawes B: 1880 Appleton, Berkshire - missing of 1939 register, again I have found his wife (Annie) and son (Stanley) living at Curridge, Newbury, Berkshire, but can't not find him. He was with the Home Guard and have wondered if that had anything to do with it??

William Aaron Athawes B: 1839 Loughton, Buckinghamshire - missing of 1861 census, again I have checked all possibles and family members. But have no sign of him

Please help, its driving me a little crazy.

Laura

Could he have been at sea in 1891?
    UK, Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910
    Harold William Athawes
    Age 15
    Birth Year about 1872
    Indenture Date 18 Feb 1887 London

His indenture was cancelled 15 July 1887 but then handwritten says Indenture received 18 July 1887.

This doesn't explain his absence in 1901 as he is back home with his parents in 1891 as farmer's son and occupation gardener with wife Clara in 1911.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

lauraathawes

Oh my God, how did I miss that!! Thankyou. It's solved one question

Knowledgeable and helpful

Is this chap one of yours Laura?

1861 Census
    Clare Hall College, Cambridge
    John Thomas ASHAWES aged 23 Scholar BA born Loughton, Bucks

The transcription is ASHAWES but the original handwritten image could be ATHAWES

Ref RG09 Piece 1025 Folio 63 Page 25

Peter
    Last edited by elsinore; 26-01-2017 at 2:27 AM. Reason: Corrected error of fact

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Could he have been at sea in 1891?
    UK, Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910
    Harold William Athawes
    Age 15
    Birth Year about 1872
    Indenture Date 18 Feb 1887 London

His indenture was cancelled 15 July 1887 but then handwritten says Indenture received 18 July 1887.

This doesn't explain his absence in 1901 as he is back home with his parents in 1891 as farmer's son and occupation gardener with wife Clara in 1911.

Christina
    Sorry but I got this wrong. it doesn't explain his absence in 1881 because this is dated 1887!

I am having absolutely no luck finding him in 1881, 1901 and 1939. It is almost as though he doesn't want to be found. His absence in the censuses could be explained away if he was elsewhere and whoever he was with thought he would be recorded at home with his parents and his parents were expecting him, correctly, to be recorded at the address he was at but this doesn't wash with the 1939 register. By the way I can't see Clara on there either. How is her name recorded?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

lauraathawes

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    By the way I can't see Clara on there either. How is her name recorded?
    Christina
    The surname is spelt in correctly on the 1939. She is Clara Atthawes

lauraathawes

Hi Peter, yes that is one of mine he is William's brother. All the his siblings around this time are away at school. Which makes me wonder if this is we're William might be

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

On findmypast. Harold William in the 1939 register is transcribed as. Athams.

lauraathawes

Many thanks for this

lauraathawes

Not sure if this will help anyone who might be still looking for me but I was going back through some old research and found some Electrol Rolls notes that I made when visiting the Berkshire Record Office many years ago. It says in my notes that Harold William Athawes was Owned or Rented Land in 1907, 1908, 1909 and 1910 in Eastbury, Berkshire so surely he must of been in the area on the 1901 census record when it was taken if he owned land around this time. Or am I just really clutching at straws??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast