Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Knowledgeable and helpful

What do the census records show as his occupation?

There are a number of William Searle ( and variation) baptisms in Cornwall within your time frame. It is possible that his parents migrated from Cornwall shortly after his birth to take up employment in Devonport dockyard, and this was the only home he knew.

Thank you Janet the threads have been merged. Done with bated breath

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

Thanks Christina - even with my memory I thought I recognised the name when I started to look for the elusive William this time!

Janet

Geoff1959

Hi Janbooth,
    I have been having another look at what we have on William and how (we think) it all fits together.
    In both census he is listed as born Devonport Devon.
    In the 1851 he transcribed as "LEALE" aged 62 and his profession is cordwainer living at 31 Mount St.
    The 1861 has him as William SERLE aged 75 retired boot/shoe maker living with his son at Bakers Place.
    Maybe 31 Mount St is the key to this.
    William (snr) had 4 children with his wife Mary (Whitaker) William (jnr), Alfred, George, & Lavinia.
    The 1861 has William's son Alfred living at 9 Ker st. There is a burial record for Alfred 01/12/1888 where his address was listed as 31 Mount St.
    Alfred had a son (Alfred John) who was a professor of music. The 1871 has this Alfred John SERLE living at 9 Ker St. Then in 1891 & 1911 Alfred John is shown living at 31 Mount St.

So returning to William (snr) I have been unable to find any trace of him before the 1851.
    I would have also expected a baptism but again cant find anything.
    What does everyone think about the next move?

Regards,
    Geoff

Geoff1959

UPDATE
    FMP A to Z records under Plymouth & West Devon Parish records has parish records for "Stoke Damerel".
    There is a marriage record 1st Jan 1783 for Lazarus SERLE and Mary BERRY. Lazarus is also listed as a Cordwainer.
    It is too early to accept this record straight off but it looks hopeful. Now looking for evidence to link it to William.
    Regards,
    Geoff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123