Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Alternates for Jack!! death cert problem

I am trying to find details on my grandfather. Should be easy! However, I have very little to go on, as he never married my grandma (she was the 2nd family)

My grandma was born in 1910, so I am assuming they are of a similar age. I have one photo of him in uniform (can't get record until I have death certificate!!) - for WW2 - he looks around 40ish

I am led to believe he died around 1970 to 1975 ish. but it could be few years later.

I only know him as Jack Bevan. I am told that he lived in Lancashire area.

Even if I get death certs, how do I know it is the correct one!!??!!

I am not aware if he had children with his wife. All I know is that he wife was in a wheel chair and that he did have money. Don't think he was rich as such, but ran his own car etc. in the 40's and was always suited and booted!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Reputation beyond repute

I'm not totally sure what "Alternates for Jack" means. Do you mean "alternatives"?

If he was your grandfather, presumably you have the birth certificate of your parent who was his child. What does that have to say which might shed some light on matters

Knowledgeable and helpful

Jack is frequently a nickname for John :-)

Knowledgeable and helpful

But not always - my uncle Jack was registered as Jack. You also have to be prepared for the possibility that his name was something quite different. Does he appear on the 1939 register? He might be quite a bit older than your grandmother, or younger. What about electoral rolls? pwholt

Hi
    If you give us your Grandmother's name, place of birth and birth date and where she lived and died it may help us find the mysterious Jack Bevan.
    As pwholt says even though Jack was a common nickname for John it may not necessarily be so. My cousin's birth was registered as Jack.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

It would possibly be a lot easier if he was a Jack not a John as there is only one death on FreeBMD for a Jack
    1966-1980 He's a Jack Lionel Bevan died 1976. I can find only two births for a Jack L Bevan at any time and they are in 1906 and 1922. The one born 1920 died in 1924 so that leaves one. All of this is supposing your Jack was born in Wales in 1906 and was a Jack not a John.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a continuation of a slightly earlier thread HERE which contains more background info so I am closing this one to prevent duplication of help.
    If you have anything to add, please do it on the other thread.