Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Wilkins/Abery in Oxfordshire and Berkshire.

My longest standing brickwall relates to my 5x great-grandfather Richard Wilkins and his wife Elizabeth, whose surname I can't discover. I found no marriage date, only the birth of their first child, John, in 1768 in Lyford, Berkshire. I'm pretty sure that I have this, and all his children, correct. Two of his sons later moved to Radley, one of whom was my 4x great-grandfather.

I have another record (IGI) of a Richard Wilkins who married an Elizabeth Abery in Goring, Oxfordshire, on 21st February 1768. It's likely that she was born there in 1740. I'm almost certain that these couples are the same, but in six years have been unable to prove it. He was a yeoman in Goring, so why would he have immediately moved to Lyford, not far away, after his marriage. What is also very interesting is that last year I acquired my grandmother Katie Wilkins' birthday book. She and my grandfather Frank lived in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. In the book were two people named Abery!

Is anyone out there researching the Abery family? If anyone can throw any light on this I would be eternally grateful!

Many thanks,

Maurice Wilkins.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Oxfordshire Archdeacons Marriage Bonds has a Richard Wilkins of Goring and an Elizabeth Alberry of Goring having a Bond in 1768. No other details are given, so not really much help I'm afraid.

Emeltee

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks. I have the details of this marriage bond, but as you say, it doesn't help any further.

Maurice.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

From the OxFHS - Oxfordshire Marriage Index 1538 - 1837.

Richard Wlkins married Elizabeth Alberry. 21 Feb 1768 @ Goring.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Steve - I have this, but am probably trying to prove the impossible that this Richard Wilkins is my relative.

Maurice.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Perhaps the marriage details in Goring Parish registers, might hold more clues. Like witnesses for example. The Index and IGI do not give those.

There are no other marriages in Oxfordshire that would fit in that time frame, for Richard Wilkins and an Elizabeth.

There is a marriage for Thomas Albury(of Bucklebry, Berkshire) to Mary Giles @ Checkenden. 21 Jan 1724.
    This would fit for a birth for Elizabeth Alberry. around 1740.

Checkenden is not far from Goring.

There are just 4 Alberry(and variations of that surname), marriages in Oxfordshire. The one I posted, is the only one that fits.

A Yeoman in Goring, does not mean he had to stay in one place. People did move to better accommodation or places for an expanding family.

My 5x Yeoman Grandfather moved 5 times to bigger and better properties, but some were worse, but improved over time.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.