Thread: Adam Hislop

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Adam Hislop

I have been researching my tree for many years but have been able to find a birth or marriage record for Adam Hislop.

He was born around 1790 but don't know where. He died in Lambeth in 1843 and was married to Martha. He had a son called William Henry Hislop who also lived in Lambeth.

If anyone can give me any sort of information on Adam it would add a piece to the jigsaw.

I assume that he was the Adam Hislop, painter, 51, not born in county, who appears on the 1841 census in Lambeth HO107/1058/3?

There is a public tree on Ancestry, with some sources listed, though of course these would need checking. This states that Adam married Martha Smeaton and had Alfred (born and died 1814 in Lambeth), George (1819-1884) and William (1827-1881)
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hislop's a common name in the Scotland/England Borders....
    There's a couple of Adams born 1890/1891 in Northumberland according to FamilySearch./

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is an entry on the Westminster Banns Transcription for, obviously, the Banns of Marriage between an Adam Hislop and a Martha Ombler. They were read at St Martin in the Fields on 8th, 15th and 22nd December 1811. Can't find an actual marriage though.

Emeltee

Knowledgeable and helpful

I presume that you have the family in the 1841 Census HO107/1058/3/F29 and have seen that neither Adam or Martha were born in County. I came across a baptism for a Martha Ombler in 1790 in Yorkshire on familysearch and there is also a baptism for an Alfred Hislop 1814 St Mary's Lambeth parents Adam and Martha, on the same site.

Emeltee