Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Clegg Army Service Record WW1

Hello,
    This my first post so forgive me for its length.
    I've been searching for my fathers army service record in WW1 for some years without success.
    He was William Clegg b 07/01/1898 d 1989.
    In the 1911 Census he lived in Parkgate, Rotherham with his father, Charles and Kate. His parents moved and are shown in the Electoral Registers in Chesterfield District in the 1918, 1919 and 1920 and he is not shown with them. The absent voters list for Bolsover in 1919 and 1920 would be of significant help but I cannot find these.
    I would not expect him to appear in the 1918 Electoral Register or the absent voters list in 1918 because of his age.
    He was married 13/11/1920 and his marriage certificate shows his residence at that time as 64 Poolsbrook which also falls within the Chesterfield District.
    Family members, myself included recollect a large photograph of him in army uniform, but this has been lost. He only ever mentioned that he served as a Batman for an Officer taking messages.
    I've used Ancestry, FMP, The long lost trail,Forces war records, National archives, together with many free sites, about 20 regimental sites and museums, Derbyshire records office, Chesterfield library.
    I have a list of about 100 soldiers listed on WW1 Medals list withe name of W. Clegg or William Clegg but these cannot be cross reference with either residency, age or date of enlistment or discharge.
    I also have links with a number of forums in which I have made enquiries and all responses I have followed through without ant further luck. British Newspaper Archives have also not shown any record of his return from service

The absent voters list for 1918 covering Chesterfield was published by Wilfred Edmunds Ltd (now Derbyshire Times, part of Johnson Press). They along, with the Derbyshire Records Office, cannot trace when, how or who supplied the 1918 AVL information was supplied, as this seems to me a key element in tracing the 1919 and 1920 AVL.

Any information or thoughts on tracing my fathers army service record would be most welcome and very much appreciated. Thank you

What his occupation given as on his marriage certificate? If he was still in the army in 1921 or later, his records will still be with the MOD. Some men were not demobbed until comparatively late...

For more information click HERE

Welcome to BG. I've moved your post to the WW1 forum as posts in Surname Interests are closed.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default WW1 Army Service Record

Thank you for the re-direction.
    Kind regards

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your reply. My Father's occupation shown on his marriage certificate was that of a miner. He survived the war and died in 1989. I've tried tracing the missing photograph without any luck. This would enable his regiment to be identified more easily. Would his service as a Batman help with my trace?
    Kind regards