Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thomas Wallis 1600's Brick Wall

Hi All,

First time post from sunny Melbourne Australia (be nice) and yes its hot and sunny although i must admit after living here for over 30yrs from Croydon i still miss a proper cold Xmas !!!!.

Can any body help me ? i have traced my family back to Westerham Kent to the early 1600's where the last entry i can find is Thomas Wallis married Katherine Allingham 06th May 1641 but i cannot find where Thomas was born and/or where he came from, and because i am here in Aussie cannot look at any documents.

If anyone could help me so I can carry on with my search that would be fantastic.

Take Care all and Crystal Palace better buck their ideas up or the drop is now.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi wally89,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Firstly, congratulations on getting so far back with your ancestors. Most of my lines are currently stuck circa 1750.
    Unfortunately the earlier you go back the fewer details you get in any documents. Sometimes you're lucky to get a name, and might end up with 'Baptised ye son of John Smith', which isn't exactly helpful.
    Were most of the family from Westerham? How far back do Westerham PRs go? Can you obtain copies of them via the local LDS FHC? Check out other local villages, and see if those PRs can also be obtained via the FHC.

My brother-in-law says the same as you about the Eagles, and with my son's fiancee's Sunderland team currently at the bottom of the league football is not a topic of conversation in our family.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi wally89,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Firstly, congratulations on getting so far back with your ancestors. Most of my lines are currently stuck circa 1750.
    Unfortunately the earlier you go back the fewer details you get in any documents. Sometimes you're lucky to get a name, and might end up with 'Baptised ye son of John Smith', which isn't exactly helpful.
    Were most of the family from Westerham? How far back do Westerham PRs go? Can you obtain copies of them via the local LDS FHC? Check out other local villages, and see if those PRs can also be obtained via the FHC.

My brother-in-law says the same as you about the Eagles, and with my son's fiancee's Sunderland team currently at the bottom of the league football is not a topic of conversation in our family.

Pam
    Hi Pam, Thanks for your reply, I don,t like to go down just like the Palace there must be a way ?.

You take care Pam and thanks again.

janbooth

The Phillimore's Marriage Index for the parish of Westerham does not give any more details of their marriage unfortunately, which may indicate that they were both living in the parish at the time of their marriage but not necessarily resident there. Where were any children of the marriage born? If they were not born in Westerham, it may give us an indication of where Thomas himself originated.

Janet

Loves to help with queries

I don't know what records survive for Kent (I m researching Yorkshire) but if you research in the 1600s there are the Protestation Oath, 1641/2, Poll and Hearth Taxes, 1660s and going back into the century before there are various Lay Subsidies (taxes), which list people. cicilysmith

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Janet, Cicly, Pam, Thank you all so much for your posts, I will be looking up your suggestions Many Thanks.

Janet, Thanks for looking up in "The Phillimore" Yes all their children were born/Baptised in Westerham.

The only other info which might help is Thomas Wallis as in the parish registers buired 24 th Feb 1674 in Westerham.

Will keep looking

Thanks again all and take care of yourselves Wally89

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Wally89,

FamilySearch has the following in England Births and Christenings 1538-1975:

Thomas WALLIS christened 9 Mar 1617 at Tonbridge, fathers name William WALLIS.

Tonbridge is about 20k from Westerham, so a possibility.

As Pam suggested, you can order the film from your local LDS.

Also, check out name variants, e.g. Wallace, Walles, Wallice.

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Good Morning Peter, Thank for your reply, as you say a possibility it does seem to fit, will look further , thanks again.

I must say the old shoulders dropped in the past as I could not find anything, but with my Thanks the response from every body has put a bit off steam back into my research again.

Regards