Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Illegitimate relation

Hi I have am looking for some of my fathers family. He was born illigitimate in1928 in Fordoun and was christened David Jeans Williams. When my grandmother eventually married his name was changed but I believe that the 'Jeans' part of his original name is a reference to his father. Also can anyone tell me how adoption and name change worked then?? I'd like to make sure I am who I am supposed to be!! Thanks

Hi there, do you mean Fordoun in Scotland? I only ask because sometimes in the old kirk session records from Scotland the father of an illegitimate child was named, or mentioned at least. Have you tried contacting a Scottish genealogist, or even the local Family History Society where David was born? They will search records for you and might come up with something.

The adoption Act came into effect in 1930 in Scotland, and there is an Adopted Children's Register, however I have never used this so I can't tell you what information might come from it. Prior to 1930 adoptions weren't really recorded.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes it is Fordoun in Scotland. Have tried Kirk records before with no luck so far. Had not heard of the adopted children's register though I will have a go there. Thanks for your help

ScotlandsPeople, a pay per view site, has his birth registration as 1929 not 1928.

As far as adoption goes his stepfather may have officially adopted him, in which case his birth mother would have to also adopt him. Or he could just change his name to that of his stepfather. Anyone can adopt any name they like without going through an official process as long as it not for criminal purposes.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs