Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rankin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Rankin

My Rankin Brick wall has driven me insane for about 20 yrs .... My husbands Gt Gt grandfather William Rankin just appears on the 1841 census in Dudley West Midlands he was with 3 or 4 other young people all Tailors and all from Scotland ( don't know where in Scotland ) He ( William ) stayed got married and lived had children carried on with his profession as a Tailor from his marriage Cert I know his father's name is Charles Rankin Scottish and a Tailor, that's the end of the trail, I have nothing else to go on at all, I would dearly like to progress into the Scottish Roots.... HELP !!!!!

Hello Babstonks, what else do you have about William? Place of birth, or where in Scotland? Year of birth? Where did he work as a tailor? Did he complete an apprenticeship to become a tailor I wonder? I don't know too much about this occupation. When did he die? Did he leave a Will?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi thanks for your reply, as I said in my post I have no idea where William came from In Scotland...there was a family tale from years back that said he may have come from Perthshire but that's not enough to go on I would assume he did an apprentership but where ? he died in Dudley . Salop Street in 1881.He married twice, In 1844 to Sarah Cornforth and In 1872 Elizabeth Morriss, that is the extent of my knowledge of him, other than his fathers name was Charles Rankin who must have died between 1844 and 1872 as he was alive when William married in 1844 and deceased when he married in 1872, that's all I have :/

Okay no worries, and yes you did say you didn't know where in Scotland. Well, I would be turning to Scottish records now, because that is your goal. There were only 3 deaths for a Charles Rankin (with variations) between 1844 - 1854, and none would match yours. Then from civil registration, so from 1855 to William's second marriage, there are only a total of 15 for all of Scotland, and only 5 of these could be possibilities for you. It is then well worth paying to view all of the options to see if one of them is a Charles Rankin who was a Tailor. If you find one, you can then keep searching on this man and see if he had a son named William around 1817, and also if he left a Will, or if there were other children and where they went. I would also look at tax records for William in England; I'm not sure at the present moment for William's area and where he lived, but if he ran his own shop then he would have payed some sort of tax, or had fire insurance. As with others, I would highly recommend contacting the Family History Society in the relevant county where William lived and see if they can search local repositories for William and anything to do with his occupation and vital statistics. Good luck!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Annalies
    thanks for your input I have followed most of those avenues but I will start all over again as there may be new stuff added now, many thanks and good luck with your searches xx

I have moved this thread to the General Scottish Forum where it should get more attention than in the FHS forum.

If you Take a look at the top of the Scottish Forum, you'll find a collection of what we call "stickies" with assorted ideas about sources. You may find something there that you haven't tried.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum!

The 1841 census says that he's 25, being the 1841 +/-5 years...
    It might be a red herring, but there's a Charles Rankin, tailor, aged 62 in Glasgow in the 1851....

Dundee10

I was looking at him too. I don't have any SP credits at the moment so just looking at a transcription. Have you tried to follow up that Charles RANKIN?

Parish: Glasgow St Mungo; ED: 16; Page: 2; Line: 19; Roll: CSSCT1851_158; Year: 1851

A possible death registered at High Church in 1863 aged 76.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Guy's for your help, I am new to this kind of stuff ( threads ) that is, I might just loose my way, lol
    I will try and find out about the death in 1863 thanks again .

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm probably misreading this - when you say that William Rankin "just appears on the 1841 census ...... " you don't mean that is the only census he is on ? He is in Dudley on the 1851, 1861 & 1871 censuses. When he dies in 1881 he is given a birth year of 1814 - I'm sure you know that already. Granted the censuses only say that he was from "Scotland" - not very helpful !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast