Loves to help with queries

Default Deciding on correct name pre 1837?

We all know how surname spellings vary, but pre 1837 there was no official index for BMDs so we rely on parish registers and there are so many variations. What is the best way to go when a surname sounds similar but has a totally different spelliing to the one you are researching? What do professional genealogists do?
    Any advice much appreciated.

Sue

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
    ... What is the best way to go when a surname sounds similar but has a totally different spelliing to the one you are researching? ...
    I've had this problem - tho as a variation rather than a totally different spelling. In my amateur way I just tried to piece together the other clues - birthplace, birthdates, occupations, other family members names (children, siblings etc) and compared them to any later data available - like say born 1820 but does appear on 1841, 1851 censuses, or a post-1837 marriage certificate is available.
    Coupled with that I looked for the 'changing point' of the name - was it a record where their accent or illiteracy could account for the change thru simple misshearing or the name sounding similar. This might go thru 2 or more changes.
    If the older name seems accepted at the time ie all family members are using it then that's what I record it as. After the change point I continue with the later version. So my pre 1810 family used STOKOE, but sometime between the 1841 and 1851 censuses it morphed into STOKER and continued as such. Around the change point I've attached a note to the source docs where possible to highlight the variation.

There is always the option that the name was changed deliberately but again you'd need to look for a reason - criminal record?, bigamy??

It's always more difficult pre 1837 and you sometimes just have to take a 'best case' fit - or keep looking for more evidence!

Cheers, MTS

Hi Sue, you will encounter this very often if you have only just begun researching. Name variations are sometimes the genealogists bane, however we come to expect them with every project undertaken. The advice from MTS is great, and follow that person with the different spelling to see where they ended up.

I would add that when you have these variations you need to find evidence to link the person in question to your ancestry. You mention a surname that sounds similar, but has a different spelling; this is the MOST common form of spelling up to the 20th century, it's called phonetic spelling. Often you will get this with European, even Scottish and Irish, immigrants who came to another country. Imagine an ancestor with a thick German or Irish accent telling the immigration agent his full name and then that agent having to guess how it's spelled! I have seen name variations of every surname I have ever researched and so never discount a person that you believe might be linked, just because of a different spelling of the surname (or forename too!) However if you can adhere to the GPS as much as possible (Genealogical Proof Standard) and find evidence to link this person, then it will be a one step closer to adding more to your family tree.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Sue,

Sound advice has been given in the two previous replies, especially regarding phonetic spelling. (No pun intended. )

Remember the story where Shakespeare's name is spelt three different ways in one document, and you will see just how 'unreliable' spelling is as you go back in time.

The main thing is to do your best to ensure that there isn't another person who could be the one you're looking for. e.g. check for death as an infant, search more than one village's PRs.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

research to eliminate. it's the only way.

Don't believe it until you find irrefutable proof -*sigh* - yes I know but it really is the only way. I am not going to tell how many times I have gone down the wrong rabbit hole because of spelling
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Loves to help with queries

Thank you all for sound advice, much appreciated.

Sue