genie12

Default Thomas Jeffree and wife Sarah Ann Gould SA

According to this tree :https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/j/e/f/D...lia/index.html
    Thomas Jeffree born 1847,emigrated to Australia and married Sarah Ann Gould.
    She has the correct parents of Thomas in her tree , but would his mother's name appear on the marriage certificate or indeed a death certificate for her to know this?
    I have tried but haven't been able to find any emigration details.

This is the marriage record showing the father's name
    Marriage of Thomas Jeffree
    Father - Isaiah Jeffree
    Spouse - Sarah Ann Gould
    Spouse's Father - Isaac Gould
    Marriage Date - 23 Sep 1874
    Marriage Place - Residence of Isaac Gould, Kingsley
    Registered - Grey, South Australia
    Page 876 Volume 100

I am not too sure what is on a marriage certificate but I know the actual death certificate, in NSW at least, gives both parents names and children's names. All of the info on death certs relies on the informants knowledge of the deceased of course. My husband's aunt had her mother's maiden name completely wrong!

His death shows on this site but whether having to become a member means you have to pay to find out the details I don't know as yet. https://www.genealogysa.org.au/
    Just looked and the membership fee is $95.00 AUD pa.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

genie12

I have just looked at FMP and it has a death of Thomas and the informant is father-in-law Isaac Gould. So no further forth.
    Perhaps that will be all that is on the certficate.

Read here for information available on South Australian certificates.
    https://www.familyhistorysa.info/birt...riages-deaths/

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Read here for information available on South Australian certificates.
    https://www.familyhistorysa.info/birt...riages-deaths/

Christina
    Thanks for the link.

janbooth

1851 census of Camborne, Cornwall (HO107/1916, folio 246, page 14):

Roseworthy Hills

Isaiah JEFFREW Head Mar 34 Labourer Cornwall Camborne
    Anna do Wife Mar 38 do do
    Anna CARTER Dau in law 15 do do
    Isaiah JEFFREW Son 7 Home do do
    William do Son 6 do do do
    Thomas do Son 4 do do do
    John do Son 1 do do

Two possible marriages for an Isaiah JEFFREY & variants in Cornwall. The first at Falmouth on 25 April 1833 of an Isaiah JEFFREE to a Sarah LONG and the second in the June qtr 1843 at Redruth reg district of Isaiah JEFFREE and one of the other names is that of an Anna CARTER, so the latter marriage is the one you are really interested in as she is likely to be the mother of your Thomas.

Janet

janbooth

Thomas is still living with parents & siblings in the 1861 census of Ludgvan, Cornwall (RG9/1587, folio 94, page 12). Isiaiah JEFFREE & wife Anne are now shown as born Gwinear as is son William. The other children Isaiah, Thomas, John & Richard are all shown as born Camborne.

So we are looking for a Passenger List record to Australia for a Thomas JEFFREE or variants between 1861 and 1874 when he married Sarah Ann GOULD and more likely between 1861 & 1871 as I haven't found him on the 1871 UK census - so far. Parents Isaiah & Hannah JEFFERY are still living in Ludgvan in the 1871 census (RG10/2330, folio 5, page 3) with married son Isaiah, unmarried sons John & Richard and a son? Thomas, aged 6, born Ludgvan (could he be Isaiah jnr's son perhaps). Isaiah snr is still living at Ludgvan in the 1881 census (RG11/2339, folio 6, page 5), now a widowed Railway Labourer, with grandsons Thomas, aged 15, and Richard aged 1, so it would appear that Thomas should be shown as a grandson in the 1871 census.

I have found a Passenger List record for a Thomas JEFFRIE, aged 19, who embarked from Plymouth on 29 July 1865 aboard the "Adamant" arriving on 17 October in Adelaide, perhaps a possibility for your Thomas but would need further investigation on your part.

Janet

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Thomas is still living with parents & siblings in the 1861 census of Ludgvan, Cornwall (RG9/1587, folio 94, page 12). Isiaiah JEFFREE & wife Anne are now shown as born Gwinear as is son William. The other children Isaiah, Thomas, John & Richard are all shown as born Camborne.

So we are looking for a Passenger List record to Australia for a Thomas JEFFREE or variants between 1861 and 1874 when he married Sarah Ann GOULD and more likely between 1861 & 1871 as I haven't found him on the 1871 UK census - so far. Parents Isaiah & Hannah JEFFERY are still living in Ludgvan in the 1871 census (RG10/2330, folio 5, page 3) with married son Isaiah, unmarried sons John & Richard and a son? Thomas, aged 6, born Ludgvan (could he be Isaiah jnr's son perhaps). Isaiah snr is still living at Ludgvan in the 1881 census (RG11/2339, folio 6, page 5), now a widowed Railway Labourer, with grandsons Thomas, aged 15, and Richard aged 1, so it would appear that Thomas should be shown as a grandson in the 1871 census.

I have found a Passenger List record for a Thomas JEFFRIE, aged 19, who embarked from Plymouth on 29 July 1865 aboard the "Adamant" arriving on 17 October in Adelaide, perhaps a possibility for your Thomas but would need further investigation on your part.

Janet
    I agree that it looks likley that Thomas should have been grandson in the census but whose son he is I have no idea.
    I can't find him in the GRO index and like you I thought that he may have been Isaiah's son but then I found a marriage fo Isaiah in 1869 to Jane Laity and in the 1911 census Jane is a widow and states that she had 1 child.
    There is also the missing William born 1845 a son of Isaiah and Hannah.
    Was Thomas his son? I can't find a marriage as yet.