Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopcraft

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hopcraft

Hi everyone,
    I have just started looking into my roots. I'm looking for information on George Hopcraft from England. Maybe born 1821, 1826. He had a son named Arthur Hopcraft and immigrant to Canada in 1871.

Growing old Disgracefully

Need a bit more info, birth date of son George would be good, where they came from in England would be a help as well

Just seen another post regarding a George Hopcraft who went to Canada below this one you need to have alook at that lots of info

A quick look on FreeBMD in Nottinghamshire gives these

Births Jun 1/4 1870.
    Arthur Hopcraft. Basford. Vol no 7b, Page no 144.

Name Sarah Hopcroft
    Gender Female
    Age 16y
    Birth Year 1865
    Birthplace England
    Ethnicity English
    Religion P. Meth.
    Head of Household Name George Hopcroft
    Event Place Orangeville, Wellington Centre, Ontario, Canada
    District Number 152
    Sub-District A
    Division 2
    Page Number 40
    Family Number 198
    Affiliate Film Number C-13259

George Hopcroft M 60y England
    Sarah Hopcroft F 16y England
    Arthur Hopcroft M 11y England

janbooth

There is a Passenger List record via Ancestry for a George HOPCROFT, aged 49, Labourer, together with, presumably children, George aged 16, Mary Ann aged 14, James aged 12, Sarah aged 10 and Arthur aged 5, who departed from Liverpool aboard the "Moravian", which arrived at Quebec on 18 May 1875. This family would tie in with the George, Sarah & Arthur HOPCROFT Sandy found living at Orangeville, Ontario in the post above. George HOPCROFT jnr is living in Vaughan, Ontario in the 1881 Canadian census together with wife Catharine.

George HOPCROFT senior looks to be living in the 1871 census of Arncott, Oxfordshire (RG10/1444, folio 30, page 10) together with wife Rebecca and children George, Mary Ann, James, Sarah, Charles & Arthur. Rebecca HOPCROFT was buried at Ambrosden, Oxfordshire, on 15 May 1872, from Arncott, aged 43. Son Charles HOPCROFT was buried at Ambrosden on 6 March 1873, from Arncott, aged 6 years. So this family is definitely the one who emigrated aboard the "Moravian" in 1875.

If this is your family, Ancestry hold many of the actual parish register images for Oxfordshire, amongst which is the baptism of Arthur HOPCROFT on 28 November 1869 at Ambrosden, son of George & Rebecca HOPCROFT, Arncott, Labourer.

Janet

janbooth

Just looked at the post Sandy mentioned - probably should have done that first - and there look to be 2 George HOPCRAFT/HOPCROFTs who migrated to Canada, so think we need a little more background information as regards George snr & Arthur, such as occupations, where they lived in Canada, etc. to enable us to find the correct family.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    There is a Passenger List record via Ancestry for a George HOPCROFT, aged 49, Labourer, together with, presumably children, George aged 16, Mary Ann aged 14, James aged 12, Sarah aged 10 and Arthur aged 5, who departed from Liverpool aboard the "Moravian", which arrived at Quebec on 18 May 1875. This family would tie in with the George, Sarah & Arthur HOPCROFT Sandy found living at Orangeville, Ontario in the post above. George HOPCROFT jnr is living in Vaughan, Ontario in the 1881 Canadian census together with wife Catharine.

George HOPCROFT senior looks to be living in the 1871 census of Arncott, Oxfordshire (RG10/1444, folio 30, page 10) together with wife Rebecca and children George, Mary Ann, James, Sarah, Charles & Arthur. Rebecca HOPCROFT was buried at Ambrosden, Oxfordshire, on 15 May 1872, from Arncott, aged 43. Son Charles HOPCROFT was buried at Ambrosden on 6 March 1873, from Arncott, aged 6 years. So this family is definitely the one who emigrated aboard the "Moravian" in 1875.

If this is your family, Ancestry hold many of the actual parish register images for Oxfordshire, amongst which is the baptism of Arthur HOPCROFT on 28 November 1869 at Ambrosden, son of George & Rebecca HOPCROFT, Arncott, Labourer.

Janet
    I had found all of this as well Janet but wasn't sure if they where one and the same family also didn't have time to post as the nurse has been to give me my Drugs lol

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes.....this is my family��

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I'm guessing it's a far stretch to find out who George's parents were.

janbooth

The banns of the marriage between George HOPCROFT & Rebecca MASSEY both of the hamlet of Arncott were called at Ambrosden on 14th, 31st & 28th February 1847. The actual marriage took place at Ambrosden on 31 May 1847:

George HOPCROFT, 21, bachelor, Labourer, Arncot, father George HOPCROFT, Labourer, & Rebecca MASSEY, 18, spinster, Arncot, father William MASSEY, Labourer. Both made their mark as did the witnesses John DEELEY & Elizabeth DEELEY.

4 September 1825 at Ambrosden George HOPCROFT son of George & Anne HOPCROFT, Arncot, Labourer
    9 February 1829 at Ambrosden Rebecca MASSEY daughter of William & Mary MASSEY, Arncot, Labourer

As I said in my previous post, if you can access Ancestry in any way they have many Oxfordshire parish registers available to view. If not, IGI Family Search have many transcriptions of Ambrosden records including the baptism of George HOPCROFT & his siblings at Ambrosden.

George HOPCROFT jnr is living with his parents and siblings in the 1841 census of Arncott, Ambrosden (HO107/876/4, folio 6, page 6).

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast