Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Default weekly notifications

I thought that I had ticked the right boxes so as to get weekly notifications for subscribed threads, but apparently not this Monday. Any ideas?
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Famous for offering help & advice

You might need to check your message and/or spam filters. I get daily notifications, and I noticed some time within the last week that they weren't being filtered properly. On investigation, I discovered they were now coming from a different address ([email protected]).

thewideeyedowl

Default Possibly a problem with a gmail address?

Hi

Interesting that you have both had some problems with notifications not arriving, because I had been experiencing something similar between early December to a few days ago. It has now been sorted by the techies but I can only guess that it was something to do with a computer glitch that took against gmail.

This is what happened:
    1. I am set to receive instant notification of a new reply to a subscribed thread or a PM. These just stopped coming.
    2. I use a gmail address for the forum.
    3. After several weeks of non-notification, I decided to change the email address in case that was the problem. BUT the system would not allow me to change the address, announcing that the address had been banned. Yikes! I was, though, still able to post; it was just that I could not contact/be contacted by Brit Gen.
    4. PM'd a mod, who referred the prob to the techies. Nothing seemed to happen and I was on the point of having another moan about it.
    5.Last weekend, I logged in after a couple of days' absence, found a PM, to which I replied somewhat apologetically, then noticed a thread I wanted to have a go at. (It was almost midnight!). Posted an answer and went to bed.
    6. Next morning, I found email notification of a reply to the thread. Phew! Everything back to normal - at last.

My conclusion is that, in my case, it was some sort of glitch to do with the email address. Just a guess, though.

I believe that one of the mods may have been affected too. Anyone else?

Owl

Hi
    I am the Mod who was affected but not for as long a time as Owl and I didn't try finding a solution myself. I am also using a gmail address. I am now receiving notifications.

I have directed Admin/techies to this thread.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have a gmail.com address and have started to receive notifications again after a period of abscence! Think this goes back to when the site had a few problems with missing requests etc

Famous for offering help & advice

I don't use gmail and haven't changed my email address, and my notifications (mix of daily and instant, I think) have been coming through normally. The only thing I noticed was the change of the sender's email address, and as that disrupted my filtering in Thunderbird, I wondered if it might be part of Peter's problem too.

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Now you mention it, I've not had any notifications for a while either, and I've been posting a few times so there has been activity. (As well as other activity in forums I follow - but no emails)

I don't use a gmail account, and nothing has changed on my email account. There's nothing Brit-Gen in my spam box either.

What's going on?

Cheers, MTS

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    I am the Mod who was affected but not for as long a time as Owl and I didn't try finding a solution myself. I am also using a gmail address. I am now receiving notifications.

I have directed Admin/techies to this thread.

Christina
    Can I drag this one back to the top of the list again please, and ask if the Admin/techies have made any progress?

I'm still notification-less and while it's not the end of the world it is irritating -

MTS

I have asked Admin to get back to me re progress on this problem.
    I wonder why it has corrected itself for some of s and not for others?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

I received a weekly notification today.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast