Default Trail Runs Cold - John Copping 1757 of HBO

my ancestor, John Copping (1757-1834), from Hatfield Broad Oak, married Elizabeth Mallion.

I am looking for information on John Copping's father.

Growing old Disgracefully

For anyone interested

Wikipedia
    Hatfield Broad Oak is a village and civil parish in the Uttlesford district of Essex, England. The village is approximately 5 miles south-east of Bishop's Stortford.
    Shire county: Essex
    District: Uttlesford
    Dialling code: 01279
    UK parliament constituency: Saffron Walden

Where did your information come from nothing coming up on family, search only a Sarah Copping C. 27 May 1776 is she a daughter of your John and Elizabeth.

thanks Sandyhall.

John and Elizabeth did have a child named Sarah but christened 1786.

Knowledgeable and helpful

FreeReg2 has several children baptised Hatfield Broad Oak to John and Elizabeth Coppin.

Emeltee

thank-you.
    I'm just learning.

how do you search this?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    FreeReg2 has several children baptised Hatfield Broad Oak to John and Elizabeth Coppin.

Emeltee
    Thanks for that lead, Emeltee, as it sent me off on a slightly different angle.

Lana, unless you have a document which specifically says John was born in HBO, then for the time period you're talking about and with the limited amount of detail you have about him you can only assume he was born there.
    You also need to take into account that age at death does not necessarily relate to a person's true age - it can be out by several years.
    Link to
    https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Emeltee's hint about the surname spelling led me first of all to check out Elizabeth.
    Her baptism is on FreeREG2 for 17 June 1755 in HBO. All of the registers for HBO between 1710 and 1819 have been transcribed, as well as some of the earlier ones.
    No John baptised in HBO, under Copping/Coppin/Coppen, etc between 1730 and 1770. He may have been born in HBO, but attended a non-conformist church when younger or he may have been born elsewhere and moved to HBO either as a young lad or when older.

FreeREG2 has the marriage of John Coppin (sic) and Elizabeth Mallion on 16 April 1780 in HBO.

Obviously, not all the PRs for Essex have been transcribed on to FreeREG2, so I think if I was Lana my next step would be to draw a circle with a radius of perhaps ten miles and see which of those villages have been transcribed for the relevant years.
    https://www.freereg.org.uk/freereg_contents (hopefully links to the Essex page!)

Perhaps also draw a twenty mile radius as well, and check out those villages too. Bear in mind that you could end up in another county.

I was hoping that Essex Society for Family History might be able to fill in some of the gaps but from what I can see on their website most of their baptism transcriptions start in 1813. So that means Plan B. Which is search the registers for those untranscribed villages via the Essex Record Office. https://
    seax.essexcc.gov.uk/ParishRegisters.aspx
    Price list (people living in Canada can reduce the price by 20% because they don't have to pay VAT)
    https://
    secureweb1.essexcc.gov.uk/SeaxPAM/subscriptionservice.aspx

Unless anyone else has any other bright ideas . . . . .

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 17-01-2017 at 6:11 PM. Reason: Added link to FreeREG home page
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Perhaps also draw a twenty mile radius as well, and check out those villages too. Bear in mind that you could end up in another county.
    Indeed. Suffolk Baptisms 1538-1911 (on FMP) has a John COPPING baptised 22 Jun 1758 at Cowlinge St Margaret, Suffolk. Parents are named.

Cowlinge is close to the Cambridgeshire and Essex borders, about 30 miles from HBO.

Peter