Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    genie12

Default Jeffree family all spellings

Josiah the widower of Hannah, is living at Rospeath in 1881, spelling Jeffery. Registration district Penzance Archive reference RG11 Piece number 2339 Folio 6 Page 5 with his grandsons -Thomas born 1866 and Richard born 1880. There is a housekeeper Ann Bryant who is single .( Josiah/Isiah died in 1886.)
    I have no idea who their father is because according to this link https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/j/e/f/D.../UHP-0191.html most of Josiah/Isiah sons emigrated.
    I haven't found William born 1843 a son of Josiah and Hannah.
    In 1891 Ann Bryant,single, is living with Richard J Bryant born 1880 and Catherine J Bryant born 1883.
    There is a birth of Richard John Jeffrey Bryant March qtr 1880 in the Penzance area and I wonder if he is the one and the same Richard in the 1881 census with Josiah.
    In 1871 Thomas is down as a son of Isiah and Hannah Jeffery ,but who is his father? I wonder if he is a grandson because his birth year is 1865 which is just a year out from 1881.
    No idea where he is either.
    Any help appreciated.

Thomas Jeffry's birth reg 1866 on the new GRO index has his mother's maiden name as Courtice.
    Using the spelling as on the birth reg there are two entries with a Courtice and a Jeff* on the same page on FreeBMD. In dec 1867 a Mary Courtice and a George Jeffery in the Tavistock registration district and the other June 1/4 1864 with an Ann Courtice and a John Jeffery Holsworthy reg district.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There are two to choose from for Richard's birth reg on the new GRO index
    Richard Oats Jeffery March 1/4 Penzance reg district mother's maiden name Oats
    Richard Thomas Jeffery September 1/4 1880 Holsworthy reg district mother's maiden name Wonnacott. The only marriage record Ican find with a Wonnacott and Jeffery on the same page FreeBMD is June 1/4 1863 Holsworthy reg dist hester Ann Wonnacott and Richard Jeffery.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

The link gives Josiah's date of birth as 1818 and his date of death as 1866 but the only Jeff* death Cornwall in 1866 is a Joseph so they have the date of death wrong.
    They have William born 1845, you have 1843, they don't have Isiah son of Josiah and Hannah born c1848 (in the 1871 census
    Have to leave this for now
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Richard Oats Jeffry
    Baptised 26 March 1880 at Pendeen, Cornwall, England
    Father - Joseph Jeffry
    Mother - Elizabeth Jane

Marriage - Joseph Jeffery and Elizabeth Jane Oat(e)s Sept 1/4 1865 Penzance. So that rules out Richard Oats Jeffery's birth reg if Josiah and Hannah didn't have a son Joseph. Joseph and Elizabeth J are on the 1881 census with their 8 children including Richard O age 1
    Christina

Added:- This looks like Richard Thomas Jeffery's death - June 1/4 1950 Holsworth reg dist. age 69
    William Burroughs

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Thomas Jeffry's birth reg 1866 on the new GRO index has his mother's maiden name as Courtice.
    Using the spelling as on the birth reg there are two entries with a Courtice and a Jeff* on the same page on FreeBMD. In dec 1867 a Mary Courtice and a George Jeffery in the Tavistock registration district and the other June 1/4 1864 with an Ann Courtice and a John Jeffery Holsworthy reg district.
    Christina
    I don't think they are his parents.

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    The link gives Josiah's date of birth as 1818 and his date of death as 1866 but the only Jeff* death Cornwall in 1866 is a Joseph so they have the date of death wrong.
    They have William born 1845, you have 1843, they don't have Isiah son of Josiah and Hannah born c1848 (in the 1871 census
    Have to leave this for now
    Christina
    Josiah age 17 and William age 15 in 1861.
    I think the Josiah in 1861 is Isiah in 1851 and William is 5.
    It seems that father and son change their names. Josiah/Isiah the father died in 1886.

Quote Originally Posted by genie12 View Post
    Josiah age 17 and William age 15 in 1861.
    I think the Josiah in 1861 is Isiah in 1851 and William is 5.
    It seems that father and son change their names. Josiah/Isiah the father died in 1886.
    Hi
    what I am trying to say is that the information in the link you gave does not appear to be complete because they have a date of death wrong, they don't have Josiah/Isaiah as a son of Joshia/Isaih and Hannah. You actually have more information than is shown on the linked site.
    They have Thomas and John emigrating to South Australia and Richard to South Africa. That leaves Joshua/Isiah and William to follow through and see where they end up.
    Now here is something to look at
    Birth registration March 1/4 1880 Penzance
    Richard John Jeffrey Bryant
    vol 5c page 242
    Mother's maiden name a dash which usually indicates an illegitimate birth.

Possibly the son of Ann Bryant, housekeeper. So do Richard's middle names indicate a John Jeffery is the father
    Christina
    William Burroughs

genie12

I found the birth in GRO. Why would Isiah/Josiah want a housekeeper for because his children were not of a young age when their mother died.
    Maybe you are correct by saying that Richard may be a son of John. Maybe Richard?
    In my Carter tree Hannah the daughter of Hannah married James Beare/Bear and their 5th daughter was named Elizabeth John Jeffrey Beare bap 1872,which I found very odd at that time. That daughter emigrated to Canada with her husband and eventually lived in Ontario.
    Here is a link to a probate of Richard in South Africa https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/...e=g&cc=2520237
    It was transcribed for me and this Richard left a wife and 5 children but no names mentioned,but whether he is the one I amseeking I don't know.

genie12

Smile

I have found a marriage of John Jeffree https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/...154&cc=1769414
    and in 1881 he is living Elizabeth Thomas and her parents. Piece: RG11/2343 Place: Marazion -Cornwall Enumeration District: 2
    Civil Parish: Marazion Ecclesiastical Parish: St. Hilary
    Folio: 25 Page: 22 Schedule: 5
    Address: -
    That seems to rule out Richard being John's son,so maybe he is Richard's?
    At least I have found one son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast