Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Information what relative was doing in WW2

Hi

How is everyone ?

I have been asked to see if its possible to find out where or what exactly my grandad was during WW2, we know he was in Africa, I think Eqypt or Somalia/Ethopia has been mentioned.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Allan F Sparrow

In WW2 a British soldier could have served in both Egypt and Somalia/Ethiopia, as we had campaigns against the Axis in both places.

Military records of WW2 soldiers are not available on line. There are others on this forum who can better advise you on how to get access to them from the MoD.

Do you have any idea what regiment he was in? If you do, then information on what those units were doing, where and when, can be obtained, I believe, online.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan F Sparrow View Post
    In WW2 a British soldier could have served in both Egypt and Somalia/Ethiopia, as we had campaigns against the Axis in both places.

Military records of WW2 soldiers are not available on line. There are others on this forum who can better advise you on how to get access to them from the MoD.

Do you have any idea what regiment he was in? If you do, then information on what those units were doing, where and when, can be obtained, I believe, online.
    I know he was in the RE - Royal Engineers (is that the regiment), oh cool, ok its looking promising.
    Thanks.

Allan F Sparrow

As a matter of fact, my own father was in the Royal Engineers, serving in Palestine and Egypt, and later in Italy. I have not pursued his career online, because he spoke of his army life often enough (though not in fact very often) for me to have a good outline. My elder brother has his medals, and I did find the citation for his being mentioned in dispatches. It is possible that you may in the end be able to find out much more about your man.

Hi Anomo122
    You can purchase your grandfather's service record which are still held by the MoD. It will cost you 30 pounds and you will also need his death certificate. Oh and a little patience waiting for them to arrive.
    This 'sticky' explains and gives links to the site which explains who can apply, what information will be released (when and to who) and the application forms.
    The National Archives site has war diaries here
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

As a matter of fact, my own father was in the Royal Engineers, serving in Palestine and Egypt, and later in Italy. I have not pursued his career online, because he spoke of his army life often enough (though not in fact very often) for me to have a good outline. My elder brother has his medals, and I did find the citation for his being mentioned in dispatches. It is possible that you may in the end be able to find out much more about your man.
    Thanks

He was apparently laying/or replacing what I believe to be pipes for water whilst in the desert.

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by Anom0122 View Post
    Thanks

He was apparently laying/or replacing what I believe to be pipes for water whilst in the desert.
    That was certainly a task which REs would be involved in. So was digging up enemy mines, of which there were very many! Not to mention work on constructing dummy tanks, lorries, etc., as part of the business of fooling the enemy into being strong in the wrong places. And building bridges... Even those water pipes could have been part of deception plans, as well as possibly being genuine.

With guidance provided by others here, you should soon be on the way.

That was certainly a task which REs would be involved in. So was digging up enemy mines, of which there were very many! Not to mention work on constructing dummy tanks, lorries, etc., as part of the business of fooling the enemy into being strong in the wrong places. And building bridges... Even those water pipes could have been part of deception plans, as well as possibly being genuine.

With guidance provided by others here, you should soon be on the way.
    Thanks.

Id ask him myself but unfortunately hes no longer around to ask which is a shame as im sure he would have some stories to tell. I have some photos taken during his time there.

Thought I'd post to say Ive sent the forms off and theres a slight delay in the information being returned to me.

It took about 3 months for my Dad's to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast