Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello from Cornwall

Hi all,
    I'm fairly new to this thoroughly interesting process of tracing and discovering our family history. I have jumped in with both feet, and am now seeing why people employ others to research! Lol
    I'm hoping to learn the process and how to work through information found. Also hoping I haven't ran before learning to walk by purchasing the middle subscription from ancestry . Again, hoping this forum will enlighten me on such things 👍🏼😊

Dan

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Dan
    No need to employ researchers when you have access to many very knowledgeable members here who just love to help others with their research.
    The basic rule when doing genealogy is - start from yourself and work backwards.
    Another thing to do is familiarize yourself with the site you have a sub with so you know just what records they have for your particular subscription, then when entering names, date and place of birth go for the less is more approach. eg leave out middle names, just put the county born in and for date of birth use the +/- 2 years box. You can also use wildcards on ancestry so if I was searching for Annie Stephens I would enter it as Ann* Ste*ens.
    Did you see my post saying tha Findmypast has free access to lots of their records this weekend. All pay per view sites have some records that are not available on the others.
    Free sites are familysearch.org
    FreeReg and FreeCen
    Genuki
    Cyndi's List which has links to sites (both free and pay per view) for various countries.
    When you feel ready and want some help just pick a suitable forum and tell us what you want to know. It won't be too long before help arrives
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Dan

Welcome aboard, I`ve also just joined and living in Cornwall and researching the old Cornish names of Rowe, Pascoe & Stephens

Good luck

Malcolm