hilarykellis

Default Edward Turnbull, Simonburn?

I am trying to find out more about Edward Turnbull, who is my mom's direct line ancestor and shares her maiden name.

All census records put his birth in Simonburn, Northumberland circa 1778-9.

He married Mary Morrison in Morpeth, Northumberland by Banns on 20 Dec 1812. He was variously listed as a countryman, yeoman, miller, and carrier in records.

He has an 1864 obit in the Morpeth Herald that reads:
    "At Newcastle, at the house of his daughter Mrs. Hutchinson, 49 Grainger Street, 6th inst. in his 86th year, Mr. Edward Turnbull, better known as "Blair's Ned," formerly of this Town. Deceased was for many years employed as waggonman to the late Mr. Blair, of Abbey Mills, Morpeth, from which place he drove his team for the conveyance of flour to Newcastle three times a week; he was a faithful and honest servant, and was healed in great esteem by all with whom he at any time had intercourse."

This puts his birth at 1776 or 77.

I did find an Edward Turnbull born to John Turnbull and Margaret Thompson and baptised 29 Sep 1777 on IGI, but am not positive this is my ancestor, especially because Turnbull is a common name in that region.

I would love any help on determining who Edward's parents were and where they came from/did for a living.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

I would be confident this is your man,1851 census has pob.On familysearch there are three Edward Turnbull's baptised in Northumberland 1770-1780,only one in Simonburn.